Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2012, 06:25 PM

Dislocated toe (luxating phalange) and agility

I just wondered has anyone had any experience of this? Ive got two options really. Leave the toe and see how it goes, it may heal oddly but may not bother her (if it does late the toe will have to be removed anyway) or have the toe taken off now. The vet said it wont bother her if it is removed. It is the 3rd toe. With me wanting to do agility with her the vet sent me some info for me to consider. It is below for anyone interested. Just wondered if anyone has any experience/advice on the situation really. Lynn has already given me a bit (thanks Lynn )

INTERPHALANGEAL JOINT LUXATIONS
Luxation of the proximal or distal interphalangeal joints is rare and when it occurs tends to be in racing greyhounds or field trial dogs.

CLINICAL PRESENTATION
In most instances the joint luxates dorsally and results in a very prominent "knocked-up" appearance. Palpation demonstrates a swollen, painful joint and the obvious deformity of the luxation. Dogs will favor the foot but bear weight. Radiographs are used to confirm that no fractures are present (Figs. 26-6 and 26-7).

REDUCTION AND FIXATION
Closed reduction with splints or casts fails. It is impossible to properly maintain the joint in a reduced position. Nonathletic animals may adapt and walk well with the luxation.
Attempts at internal fixation using wires have been made; however, most are unsuccessful. Attempts to repair torn capsule or collateral ligaments have been reported,(2) but such procedures are difficult. The treatment of choice is interphalangeal arthrodesis. The joint must be aligned carefully to allow normal position. Even this procedure often fails under stress, with weight bearing causing a high rate of metal failure. Amputation of the affected digit is often the only successful method of treatment.

COMPLICATIONS
The main complication of interphalangeal joint luxation is fixation failure. In an athletic dog amputation is best. Pet animals have a good prognosis even if no treatment is given. Most dogs will continue to favor the limb but will walk and function at a near normal level.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-07-2012, 07:45 PM
The only thing I would say is if it is knocked it can be painful for day or two and in agility is that likely to occur often ?

When Dillon knocked his the other weekend acting like a loony coming in from the garden and knocked it on the lip to the back door he wouldn't weight bear on it for a while and I gave him a reduced dose of Rymadil and the next day he was fine.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
The only thing I would say is if it is knocked it can be painful for day or two and in agility is that likely to occur often ?

When Dillon knocked his the other weekend acting like a loony coming in from the garden and knocked it on the lip to the back door he wouldn't weight bear on it for a while and I gave him a reduced dose of Rymadil and the next day he was fine.
This is what I was thinking. Poor Dillion and K. It must be horrible to have sore toes. It just seems a big descison to make as to whether to take off the toe. Im useless at descisons
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
This is what I was thinking. Poor Dillion and K. It must be horrible to have sore toes. It just seems a big descison to make as to whether to take off the toe. Im useless at descisons
I was quite upset about it at first but have come to accept it seeing how easily Dillon is dealing with it. In the beginning I wrote to the orthopedic surgeon asking if they could fix it and she said no it would be to complicated and seeings as he is living with it and it is giving him no real problems she wants to leave it.

If in the future if it causes problems then amputation would be the only way to go but for now she is reluctant to do anything.
She said if he knocks it and it is sore use the Rymadil which I did. If you could see the way he hares about and jumps about you wouldn't think there was anything wrong. If once in a while he needs a pain killer/anti flam to help him then thats what we will do I would rather not put him through surgery if It isn't needed but of course if it became so painful and he started knocking it all the time then I would seriously consider it.

Have you spoken to the vet about doing agility ? Maybe give her a go and see how she is after and take it from there.