View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2008, 02:41 PM

Dashie owners..harnesses & dislocated shoulders??

I have a harness for Hector as he can pull and i dont like the chocking noise he makes with a collar.

But........yesterday a Dax breeder told me harnesses are bad as they can dislocate their shoulders?

Has anyone experience of this. Or, do you use harnesses?
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2008, 07:06 PM
A harness can`t dislocate their shoulders, its physically impossible as there is a strap under the chest except for the Lupi harness style, [ horrible things imo ], not to be confused with Lupine harness which is a Trail style, [ and is the sort to look for ].

Many Dachshund owners use a trail style because is so kind on the spine and is what vets often recommend for dogs with spinal or throat problems.
There are ranges also of harnesses designed specifically for Dachshunds which are more like a dog coat so gives even more support if needed but a standard Trail should be absolutely fine - do look for one with an adjustable chest strap though so you can fit the main body strap far enough back. Most of the Rogz range have an adjustable underneath strap, or TRPD would be able to do a custom fit if you want, and padded versions if you prefer

edited to add, all my dogs have Trail harnesses and one also has a Dog Games harness which is the same principle but has fleece on it. [ had to have it, its purple ]
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2008, 07:47 PM
I must admit, I've been trying to figure out how a harness could dislocate a dogs shoulder since reading the post. I didn't want to post anything until I'd figured it out though.

It made me think that if this was the case, surely there should be a lot of huskies etc with dislocated shoulders.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Like i said, this is just what one breeder of the dogs said and thought i would ask on here to see if any1 else had heard the same.
I shall carry on using them then.