Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-05-2012, 08:02 AM

Correct dose of supplements for arthritis

As Pereg has been limping on a front leg when she first gets up, I am considering giving her some supplements. What would be the correct dose for a dog weighing 19kg? Each capsule contains the following:

- Glucosamine 366mg
- Chondroitin 400mg
- MSM 100mg

Also capsules:

- Green Lipped Mussel extract 500mg

These are human supplements, the human dose being 3 capsules of the Glucosamine, Chondroitin & MSM, and 1-4 capsules of the Green Lipped Mussel extract.

Thanks.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2012, 09:16 AM
I don't think you can overdose on those suppliments ( not 100 % sure ) over and above the possibility of diarrhoea.

If it were me and I was being ultra careful, I'd start the tablets out one at a time to make sure there were no complications of the bum. That way you wouldn't be over loading the gut and you'd know which one ( if any ) were causing a problem.
If all was ok, I'd use the human dose for perhaps a week to get it into the system then reduce the dose to probably 2 of the glucosamine and 2 of the greenlipped mussel.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
As Pereg has been limping on a front leg when she first gets up, I am considering giving her some supplements. What would be the correct dose for a dog weighing 19kg? Each capsule contains the following:

- Glucosamine 366mg
- Chondroitin 400mg
- MSM 100mg

Also capsules:

- Green Lipped Mussel extract 500mg

These are human supplements, the human dose being 3 capsules of the Glucosamine, Chondroitin & MSM, and 1-4 capsules of the Green Lipped Mussel extract.

Thanks.

You cannot really OD on Glucosamine unless your dog is a diabetic.

As human doses are based on an average human eg roughly 10 stone = 140lbs = 63 kgs

I would say one of each is plenty for your dog Malka.

HTH
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2012, 09:47 AM
I was giving my Labrador x rotty 1000 mg of human glucosomine a day which worked well for years. Sadly I have just had to start giving her metacam as she is really struggling to get up and walk now, and crying in pain when she gets up. She weighs about 32 kg, so twice as heavy as pereg.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
You cannot really OD on Glucosamine unless your dog is a diabetic.

As human doses are based on an average human eg roughly 10 stone = 140lbs = 63 kgs

I would say one of each is plenty for your dog Malka.

HTH
Thank you - I had reckoned that one of each should be OK but just wanted to be sure. I have no idea why she is limping as it is only for a minute or so when she first gets up after having been flonked down for a while, and then she is back to normal. She showed no sign of pain when I checked her joints but I thought of giving her a couple of supplements just as a precaution.

Thanks also to celli and kodimeg for their responses.