Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lauren83
New Member!
Female 

16-05-2013, 06:37 AM

Dogs peeing in the house of a night!

Hello and please help if you can. I have two dogs, a foxy x maltese who is 6 years old and a tenterfeild terrier who is 2.5. During the day they never go to the toilet in the house, they have 24 hour access to a huge back yard, and on the odd occasion that they are locked in the house with no outdoor access they have never gone to the toilet in the house. At the moment they are sleeping in my bedroom which is right next to the outside door, and I block off their access to the rest of the house. They refuse to go out side during the night to go to the toilet. My maltese x foxy doesn't like her feet being wet, but there is a back deck she could go to so her feet wouldn't get wet, and the tenterfeild terrier follows her lead. I am lost as to what to do. When they had full access to the house during the night they have this one spot on the hard wood floors that they go to, hence their access being blocked. The only next option is locking them in the bathroom. I don't want them in the bathroom over night because it is starting to get cold. I want this situation sorted before that is the only option Any help you can give will be appreciated!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2013, 06:50 AM
Sorry I might have read this wrong, but are you saying they have a dog flap they can use in the night?

My first thought is that when dogs have unlimited access to the outside, and do not have to ask to go out, they learn that outside is one place to go...but it's not the ONLY place to go. If no one is about to let them out then they go in the next best place. I would rule out any urine infection and then go back to basics with toilet training, locking them in bathroom may just mean they go in there instead. Don't let them have free access but instead take them out at regular intervals, and prasie them enthusiastically when they go....and use your toilet word. Make sure you watch them very carefully indoors so that they learn that they have to ask to go out and outdoors is the only place they an go. As young adults, if there are o medical reasons, they should be able to hold it over night,
Lauren83
New Member!
Female 

16-05-2013, 07:16 AM
Thank you Catrinsparkles,

There is a dog flap and they use it. I work odd hours often and I would prefer if they would just go out and do their business themselves. I am realising though that I should teach them to alert me when they need to go to the toilet, I just don't know if my foxy x maltese would, I think she would just hide and do it inside. I might try taking them outside more regularly, when I get home boom straight outside, and do it every few hours...How often do dogs wee a day?

Thank you for your help, it can be a little overwhelming!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2013, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Sorry I might have read this wrong, but are you saying they have a dog flap they can use in the night?

My first thought is that when dogs have unlimited access to the outside, and do not have to ask to go out, they learn that outside is one place to go...but it's not the ONLY place to go. If no one is about to let them out then they go in the next best place. I would rule out any urine infection and then go back to basics with toilet training, locking them in bathroom may just mean they go in there instead. Don't let them have free access but instead take them out at regular intervals, and prasie them enthusiastically when they go....and use your toilet word. Make sure you watch them very carefully indoors so that they learn that they have to ask to go out and outdoors is the only place they an go. As young adults, if there are o medical reasons, they should be able to hold it over night,
That was my first thought too. If they have free access to outside at all times it's not quite the same as them having learned to 'ask to go out' or whatever. Toilet training does require 'training' not just leaving it to luck or chance. In the same way that children learn to 'let you know' that they need the loo when they get the sensation that their bladder is full (and be able to wait long enough to get to the loo and get their clothes down!) if you sat them on a potty for hours on end you could say they 'had no accidents' but it would not mean they were 'toilet trained'.

They might just not like to go outside when it is darker, wetter and colder and don't differentiate between inside and outside.
mom24dogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-05-2013, 05:15 PM
I have a MinPin that is almost all the way blind. She does not like to go outside at night, I am guessing because she can't really see in the dark. She has skinned her nose on the concrete going down the stairs because she could not see there were no more stairs and she ran into the ground. Just one idea.
She uses potty pads in the house. It sucks I have to let her go potty in the house but it's just the way it is. I'm just thankful she uses the pads and doesn't go all over the floor.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by mom24dogs View Post
I have a MinPin that is almost all the way blind. She does not like to go outside at night, I am guessing because she can't really see in the dark. She has skinned her nose on the concrete going down the stairs because she could not see there were no more stairs and she ran into the ground. Just one idea.
She uses potty pads in the house. It sucks I have to let her go potty in the house but it's just the way it is. I'm just thankful she uses the pads and doesn't go all over the floor.
All I can say is BLESS YOU for taking such good care of your 'disadvantaged' min pin. I have a min pin and whatever her problems turned out to be (everything crossed she doesn't get many) I would do whatever it required to keep her as long as she was not in pain.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2013, 12:47 PM
My dog Jade does this too. Won't potty in the house during the day, but likes to pee in the house at night and must be crated once the sun goes down... I'm not sure why she does this.