Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rambo&daisy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-02-2009, 10:48 AM

peeing in the night???

hi my 19 week old pup has been peeing in his cage at night he is fully house trained but sometimes at night when were all in bed he has a pee in his cage he is let out before bed around 10.30 onwards and were up at 7 and usually hes ok.
but last night we went to bed at 11ish and i was up at 4 and he had peed in his cage.he used to sleep in his cage since we had him and never really had any problem with this.
any one have a clue why he would start now??
and he has a bad problem with eating soil and stones we try to stop him but he just continues hes wormed by the vet regulary and he is in good health just a tad worried about this to.any help on either of these problems would be much appreciated.

thanks
steve/diane
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2009, 12:18 PM
As far as I know its very unsual for a dog to mess in its bed. I guess its probably through desperation.
Maisy is now 23weeks old and has only just started going all through the night without needing to pee. 8.5 hours is a long time for them to hold it at such a young age. Maisy always cries when shes in her crate and needs a wee, so I get up and let her out.
But if he is not doing anything to get your attention, maybe setting an alarm for in the night, so you can get up and let him out for a wee?? Im sure it wont be forever, just whilst he is still so young Good luck
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2009, 01:05 PM
I don't really know why she would pee in the night at this age. My Chi babies are 10 weeks and they haven't been peeing in the night for about a week now. They go about eight hours without peeing or pooing. During the day though, they seem to pee non-stop so perhaps they get empty by night. I leave water in their pen at night for them though, so think they have just learned to hold it.

Are you sure your young one doesn't have a urine infection? Think I would have the Vet check him over if he continues this for more than a few nights, just to be on the safe side. Perhaps he is a little anxious in his crate, even though he is not showing signs of anxiety. I really don't know tbh.

As for the soil/stones, I think that just goes with being a puppy. I don't let mine out the garden without supervision until they are about six months, just in case

Hope you get it sorted. Probably will find that both problems are just phases that he'll grow out of quite quickly. Best of luck
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by rambo&daisy View Post
hi my 19 week old pup has been peeing in his cage at night he is fully house trained but sometimes at night when were all in bed he has a pee in his cage he is let out before bed around 10.30 onwards and were up at 7 and usually hes ok.
but last night we went to bed at 11ish and i was up at 4 and he had peed in his cage.he used to sleep in his cage since we had him and never really had any problem with this.
any one have a clue why he would start now??
and he has a bad problem with eating soil and stones we try to stop him but he just continues hes wormed by the vet regulary and he is in good health just a tad worried about this to.any help on either of these problems would be much appreciated.

thanks
steve/diane
Hi Steve and Diane you say your puppy is 'let out before you go to bed'. If you let a puppy out and don't go with it how do you know it has relieved itself. Many puppies who are 'put out' will get distracted by other things and they won't actually do anything.

I would take the puppy out as late as possible preferably on a lead and stay out there until you are sure you puppy is 'empty' . If you go for a short walk the various soil and doggy scents should stimulate your puppy to relive itself too. When it does give lots of praise for going in the required place.

There is a chance your puppy could have a urinary tract infection and a vet would need to check that. Also he may have soiled once or twice in his crate and this has now become a habit. It is important to make sure the area in and around the crate is cleaned well to with a none ammonia based cleaner like biological washing powder to make sure all lingering scents of urine are removed.

There is another method you can use to teach your puppy to be clean which I can expain for you if the above suggestion doesn't work.

Eating soil and stones is normal behaviour for a puppy, this habit does get better as they get older. You puppy will be going through the various stages of teething/teeth settling into the jaw just now and that makes them chew all the more.
Again you need to watch your puppy when it is outside, if it is eating stones distract it with a toy. Also make sure that it has a good supply of things that it is allowed to chew
littlelab
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Definately check for a UTI, if you read some of my threads, you will see we have a similar problem, not outward signs of problems, but toilet training has been a challenge, we now know there is something going on in her bladder.