View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 11:17 PM
I'm a vegan & my dogs have a raw organic diet. When I had cats they had the same. I choose to be a vegan-my dogs can't make that decision for themselves & I opt to feed them what is right for them
alys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2012, 11:30 PM
I just wish I could feed a veggie diet,intellectually.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by alys View Post
I'm veggie but my dog is fed meat & will soon be transitioning onto a raw diet. I can understand why as a vegetarian &/or a campaigner for better treatment of farm animals, you may feel bad for feeding a meat heavy diet but you can always source ethical meat for your dogs if you feel that strongly Alternatively, you could always try and find a small farm slaughterhouse in your area & see if you can get meat from them. My friend always used to feed her dogs raw food from her local farmer & the animals lived a great life.

Originally Posted by MadisonSale View Post
sorry to go off topic ... but when i see children's menu's with vegetarian options it really winds me up! as they are specifically aimed at under 12's usually.
Off topic I know but why would this wind you up? Not all kids like meat, some want a veggie option. I've been vegetarian since I was 4, of my own accord & without veggie options on the kids menu my parents would have had a nightmare taking me out for meals. What's so wrong with offering a bit of choice for kids? Furthermore, what's so wrong with kids being vegetarians (So long as they receive a balanced diet).
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
Off topic I know but why would this wind you up? Not all kids like meat, some want a veggie option. I've been vegetarian since I was 4, of my own accord & without veggie options on the kids menu my parents would have had a nightmare taking me out for meals. What's so wrong with offering a bit of choice for kids? Furthermore, what's so wrong with kids being vegetarians (So long as they receive a balanced diet).
at 4 though did you understand the importance of protein in your diet? i realise protein can be supplemented, i just think its a step in the wrong direction it isnt the variety thing i have an issue with. its more a certain type of diet forced upon young children when they need all the nutrients they can get.

i have images in my head of parents saying to their 6 year olds "your only allowed something with a "V" by it"
alys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2012, 12:14 AM
I do feed raw,sourced ethically.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2012, 05:48 AM
I read SB link, that persuaded me that probably not ideal. All the rest is of intellectual interest. Thank you for your input everyone ,makes me realise why it is so difficult campaigning for farm animals,they don't get much sympathy,even with animal lovers.

Wow, looking through this thread I am finding it difficult to determine what triggered your jump to this conclusion?

Making statements that farm animals don't get much sympathy even with animal lovers is a rather sweeping generalisation.

Perhaps you could be a bit more specific regarding what sympathy farm animals require and in what circumstances?

If the primary aim of your post was to elicit this information perhaps you ought not to go about it via stealth!

Some people on here actually ARE farmers, or have been or are involved on the periphery and I am sure you do not hold the monopoly on "kindness to animals"!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-06-2012, 06:22 AM
But isn't that the point,we agonise over our dogs welfare but it comes at a cost. By sweeping it under the carpet and sanitising it doesn't make it go away. Whatever our excuses we are responsible.
Who is sweeping what under the carpet?

And what are "we" responsible for?

Two wrongs don't make a right. I cannot understand the passion against trying to do the right thing. Each to their own but to me doing some good is better than none.
I do not think anyone believes other than doing some good is better than not doing any.

What is the wrong thing ? I haven't asked if anyone thinks it's morally right to feed meat,just is it nutritionally okay. I think probably not. It was really an academic question,
And I think you were answered, so why are you still harping on the subject?

There is nothing to stop you. Assuming you are fully aware of the vital vitamins and minerals that a dog requires and are prepared to supplement their vegetarian diet accordingly.

Looking at the moral side of things. I am an Orthodox Jew and as such I do not eat anything that is not strictly Kasher. But I also have major health problems, some of which could be life-threatening without medication. And the only such medication is not Kasher. What should I do? Go without the medication and risk death, or ask the relevant authorities and accept their ruling that I must take the medication as the saving of life comes before everything else.

Likewise I have a dog with a life-long life-threatening illness. Should I deny her the food, medication and supplements just because maybe they come from sources that are either forbidden to me or are not from "ethically sourced" products?

Ask yourself this.

If you had a child who, heaven forfend, had a life-threatening illness and the only way to save that child was by giving him/her products from non-ethically sourced products, or products which went against everything you had been brought up to believe...

...would you treat that child?
alys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2012, 07:49 AM
With all due respect,this was a thread I started,so I feel free to " harp on" Also no conspiracy theory. My question is simple, do you all think intensive farming is always cruelty free? If you do that's your perogative, if not then what have i said that is so outlandish?
I do not intend to defend my position on every scenario possible,I only live with my conscience.
Alys
alys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Just to be clear and so that people do not put words in my mouth,I have never said I have the monopoly on kindness, I have never said all farmers don't care or that anyone who feeds meat is wrong. What to me is blindingly obvious,is to others blindingly wrong. Debate is interesting and makes the brain work.
Alys
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Okay...I am a huge HFW fan. For the last 2 years or so, I have made a huge huge effort to ensure that my family eats only ethically produced meat/fish.
Most of what I buy is very local to me (I see the animals, I chose the pig that is in my freezer) else I buy organic from the supermarkets (tends to be waitrose) I dont buy any processed meats, nor do I nor my family eat meat (esp chicken or pork) when out.
We only eat meat 1 or 2 days a week at the very most. DS and the OH eats loads of mackerel (line caught) and we eat lots of veggies.

Now this is where it gets tricky. I have three dogs, and two cats. No way no how, could I afford to buy them Organic/FR meats or fresh mackerel each per night. So what I tend to do is I only use fish or lamb foods, preferably British. This is heavily supplemented with our leftovers/raw and maybe some eggs from our garden (hopefully home bred quail and rabbit one day)

Its not perfect...but thats how I have to manage it.

Back to the veggie thing...I dont agree with or believe in buying an animal that is essentially a carnivore, and making it live its life on veg. Yes veg hold valuable nutrients, and make very good fillers for my greedy spaniel. But for a carnivore? Nope
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >