register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Fireworks should they be freely available to the general public
Should fireworks only be allowed at liscensed public displays 74 89.16%
Or Freely available to the public to buy 9 10.84%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 07:53 PM
I hate the bloody things now, they upset the dogs so much. I don't want to spoil other (decent) people's fun but fireworks can be so dangerous even when people aren't misusing them I think they should be more restricted.
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-10-2012, 08:08 PM
I see it just like dogs in the right hands they are fine in the wrong they are dangerous.

Its unfair for everybody to be penalised.
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2012, 09:11 PM
I am having an absolute nightmare at the moment
Me and kaya were in the park at 4pm (straight after work to avoid fireworks) no such luck!
We were in a small gated off area in our park. Kaya was off lead and we were having lots of fun playing with her beloved bally.
Next thing a gang of tenagers came into the park and threw firworks over the fence at us!
Kaya just went frantic running round in all directions it was horrendous.
I couldn't get her to come back to me at first, the boys were right by the gate (our only exit) so I had to hide in the bushes as far away as I could get and call the police.
I was furious but more worried about the dog to say anything. I know who they are now though, they won't be getting away with it. Not in the least bit scared of them but I am terrified of fireworks.
And there's still ages to go
I shouldn't have to work my life around them but from now until the end of november kaya wil be having her main walk very early in the morning.
But worst of all...we are mourning the loss of kayas favourite bally that we had to leave behind. Every time I've walked her now she's been waiting by the cupboard where its usually kept before all so very sad!

Edit: So obviously I vote that they should not be available to the public. I really don't give two S**ts about it not being fair on responsible people mine and my dogs safety was put at risk.
It cannot be compared to dog ownership, dogs are living breathing beings that deserve good homes, fireworks are man made material objects.
You can always go to a show to watch them.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Interesting results so far.
A few are saying everyone shouldn't be penalised because of a stupid few. People wouldn't be penalised as there would still be fireworks just at safe, regualted displays, so you could still see them.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 10:15 PM
I simply cannot understand why this Nanny state of ours makes a massive fuss over such things as children playing conkers, or hanging baskets over pavements, and then allows the sale of explosives to all and sundry!

That apart, the fact that fireworks are now on general sale and can legally be let off up until 11 at night, on any night, is a complete nightmare for those with phobic animals. You cannot plan for it; at any time from now on until after the New Year your dog, cat or whatever can be mooching around outside when suddenly BANG - and probably ten, twenty or thirty more BANGS. Anyone who has witnessed a truly traumatised pet will probably understand when I say that I would dearly love to see the sale of the dratted things to the general public banned forthwith.

If fireworks were limited to public displays, on one named day a year plus New Year's Eve, then at least people could try to sort something out for their pets, and it would prevent the evil nasties in this world who think it clever to use fireworks as weapons against defenceless animals - or people come to that.

I don't subscribe to the argument that it is not fair to spoil people's fun. I have never believed that fun should override the welfare of animals.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I simply cannot understand why this Nanny state of ours makes a massive fuss over such things as children playing conkers, or hanging baskets over pavements, and then allows the sale of explosives to all and sundry!

That apart, the fact that fireworks are now on general sale and can legally be let off up until 11 at night, on any night, is a complete nightmare for those with phobic animals. You cannot plan for it; at any time from now on until after the New Year your dog, cat or whatever can be mooching around outside when suddenly BANG - and probably ten, twenty or thirty more BANGS. Anyone who has witnessed a truly traumatised pet will probably understand when I say that I would dearly love to see the sale of the dratted things to the general public banned forthwith.

If fireworks were limited to public displays, on one named day a year plus New Year's Eve, then at least people could try to sort something out for their pets, and it would prevent the evil nasties in this world who think it clever to use fireworks as weapons against defenceless animals - or people come to that.

I don't subscribe to the argument that it is not fair to spoil people's fun. I have never believed that fun should override the welfare of animals.
Great Post
My eldest just about puts a door in trying to come through it, i need to go back to the vet and get him valium, but as you said i dont know when.they are going to go off and valium only works if you give it to a dog that is calm not in a manic state
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 10:51 PM
Option A for me too.

Last year, me and OH went to a bonfire night thing round the corner from his house. For weeks the locals all gathered old chairs etc for the bonfire, and it is massive. I actually quite like that part.

The fireworks though I spent the whole time hiding behind OH, and after about 15 minutes asked him to leave! We then went on to the local organised display at a big park nearby... much nicer! They have burger vans, stalls, rides etc, and it has a wonderful environment. At this local bonfire night thing though, they were lighting fireworks that were sticking in every direction, and as the fireworks were waiting to go off, children were running around them I am so so surprised none of them were seriously injured! And, what was worse, was the parents continued to let them! Two of the fireworks went off at the same time, and hit each other... and another got caught in a tree! It was too much for my nerves! Never again!

And, it just makes me feel so strongly that they should not be on sale to the public, they are far too dangerous...
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 11:37 PM
I voted option A

We've had them at home a couple of times in the past but the best memories i have as a kid where of going to big organised displays as a family. As Lozzibear said i remember them as having a nice atmosphere and environment. Now that they are going off all the time i personally don't get much enjoyment from them, my nan told me she used to rush to a window to see them not even that long ago but now she just finds them annoying. We also usually end up with several of them in our garden to clear up.

For me as Bitkin has said its the fact that they are going off all the time and the unpredictably that makes it the most difficult. I was walking Ted last year about mid February at about 8pm when some started going off. He took off across the field and either jumped the stile or got around it somehow and crossed two roads thankfully not busy at that time of evening but still cars doing 60mph plus. I found him cowering shaking next to a gate and had to carry him to the car as he wouldn't move. At least if they where restricted to a few days it would make it a little easier for those with animals afraid of fireworks.
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2012, 02:16 AM
Voted option A.

It's no bl**dy joke when you have to put up with the things between October and New Year's Eve.

Guinness is not particularly bothered by them when he's inside the house, but when we're out on walks is a different matter. Last year some idiots in a car threw fireworks at Jon and Guinness (when Jon nipped him out for his pee and poo before bed), and then they turned the car around and came back and did it again.

I rang the police and reported them, the police came out and pulled the car over (it was still going up and down the road outside our house), the driver claimed it was the car backfiring (it was NOT) and the police said there was nothing they could do. Erm, search the car for fireworks maybe? Just a thought.

Frankly, sod the minority spoiling it for the majority. In my view fireworks are dangerous things that morons should not be able to obtain access to.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post

Excellent post, Well said.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »