View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Hopefully it won't be for long before he recovers enough Myra. And if anyone sees you can always say you're doing some hoovering or something.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2014, 01:47 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
A wee bit of help, if I may beg, please also. He's a less than 2 year old Labrador mix. Vet says it's very important that his exercise be almost non existent in these next days. HARD WORK!!

No kidding! There really is very little you can do. My Berkeley (Lurcher mutt, Collie sized) rent a ligament in his shoulder by running full-blast into an iron park bench when he was about the same age. He was miserable for about a day, then HA! MOAR RUNNING! WHEEE! I just had to keep him on lead, but fortunately, there is a swimming spot near us and he does love to swim. Swimming is very good physical therapy. Might you have something for Nigredo nearby?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2014, 03:30 AM
Originally Posted by Strangechilde View Post
No kidding! There really is very little you can do. My Berkeley (Lurcher mutt, Collie sized) rent a ligament in his shoulder by running full-blast into an iron park bench when he was about the same age. He was miserable for about a day, then HA! MOAR RUNNING! WHEEE! I just had to keep him on lead, but fortunately, there is a swimming spot near us and he does love to swim. Swimming is very good physical therapy. Might you have something for Nigredo nearby?
I have been leashing him outside and when about to take the stairs. He loves to swim too, but we don't have any real water close to us unfortunately. I wished we did.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

31-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Hope Nigredo is lots better today, MF.

Still sending him healing cuddles and kisses.

Hugs to you xx
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Thank you Brandykins, he's doing much better this morning with his limp. Unfortunately this morning I noticed another snapped rear dewclaw while moving his legs a bit and massaging him. They are constantly catching on things and breaking.

Admittedly, I have been dealing with a lot lately and probably neglected to clip them in time. They grow extremely quickly and they grow like hooks. They are constantly catching on things and breaking, even though I try and keep them cut.

This is his sixth toe on his left rear leg, and though it's pretty darn ugly, it doesn't look raw or fresh so he probably did this yesterday some time and I only noticed it today. Double rear dewclaws... ARGH I hate them (also, they look funny).

This has happened countless times, but it's annoying at this point more than usual since he's dealing with an issue with his right leg, as well.

Oh, Nigredo! Quit making your mom worry...
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2014, 04:24 PM
Glad he's doing well Myra, you must be relieved. Gosh, yes, that claw is very curved; I can see why it would catch on things.
lorniec
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2014, 09:44 PM
ah poor nigredo, hope you are feeling better now x
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-08-2014, 11:03 PM
Those dewclaws, they do grow like all craziness, and those tiny little extra toes, with their tiny little extra bones, they are so easily injured... I don't much care that they look funny but they are a bit of a pain! I hope you both get some rest.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2014, 08:21 AM
UPDATE

I have been keeping Nigredo on his leash (even indoors before we take a stairwell) because he runs and jumps everywhere, and was doing a really poor job of taking it easy.

He can't stand it and in a point of rebellion, tried to charge free of the leash before I guided him up the stairs and fell on the stairs, re-injuring the leg and is now limping again.
Not as badly as before, but a clear and noticeable steady limp.

I really am saddened by this, as he was getting so much better. I'm going to go to the vet (won't bring him) for another round of pain medication (he'll need it now) and really am at a loss of what to do with a dog like this who can't take it easy even the slightest.

I fear he'll never heal like this and he'll cause permanent and irreparable damage to the leg.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-08-2014, 08:49 AM
Difficult one Myra. Maybe treats in one hand and teach him steady and wait and when he does as asked he gets the treat.
Problem with painkillers is it leads dogs and us to think it is better because it feels better when in actual fact it isn't.
But of course he needs help with the pain and the anti-inflammatory to help reduce any swelling.
You are going to have a job on your hands I think. I remember this well from when Dillon was 6 months old and waiting for his referral.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >