register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Fireworks should they be freely available to the general public
Should fireworks only be allowed at liscensed public displays 74 89.16%
Or Freely available to the public to buy 9 10.84%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
I've never actually understood why anyone would want to have a firework display in their back garden compared to an organised display. Back garden ones when I was a kid consisted of dad carefully getting one firework out of the box, trooping down to the bottom of the garden, lighting it and legging it back to the top of the garden - it going off and then another 5 minute wait while the ritual was repeated again... boring as hell compared to the local school display where they had loads going off at once and the annual "see how they've managed to spell good night at the end of the display wrong this year" ritual.
You've obv not seen the rapid fire boxes you can buy for your garden now

I know a lot of people dislike them, but I love then, sorry.
Deanoh
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-10-2012, 11:50 PM
I haven't voted as banning fireworks completely was not an option.
Luckily my dog is not bothered by fireworks.
Why does anyone need to celebrate a failed terrorist attack that was attempted in the year 1605?
jade the sbt
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-10-2012, 12:40 AM
It saddens me that society is so messed up people would rather have a nanny state. How about rather than banning them or more un-enforced legislation we just enforce what's already there. Spend some of that tax the government steals from us on more police officers on the street actually stopping the 14/15 year olds that are getting drunk and setting them off in phone boxes and street corners.
jade the sbt
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by Deanoh View Post
I haven't voted as banning fireworks completely was not an option.
Luckily my dog is not bothered by fireworks.
Why does anyone need to celebrate a failed terrorist attack that was attempted in the year 1605?
Its not about celebrating it, its about remembering it... But apart from that its a bit of fun if done properly. The issue shouldn't be with fireworks it should be with people without the required amount of brain cells to use them properly.. I remember running to window as a kid when I heard a firework so I could try and see it, would be a shame for children (and adults) to lose that excitement
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 10:58 AM
One of my issues with fireworks, is that with the public using them, they are going off at all times of the year, and day! It is great for those whose dogs are not scared of them, but it is an utter nightmare for those of us who do! If it was just a few days a year then it is manageable but to have them going off for months on end, it means we have very stressed dogs. Some dogs even too scared to leave the house... I try and not take Jake out a night at this time of year because of them, but they still go off at all times of the day... even 10am! The other day there were LOADS that went off just near me (a car wash 2 minutes from where I live sells them, and I think it was them testing them out) at 3pm!

It also isn't just our pets, but all the wild animals out there who are just as terrified of them, and in most cases, more terrified of them. Is it fair that all the wild animals have to spend months on end terrified because of our enjoyment? I don't agree with that.
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by jade the sbt View Post
It saddens me that society is so messed up people would rather have a nanny state. How about rather than banning them or more un-enforced legislation we just enforce what's already there. Spend some of that tax the government steals from us on more police officers on the street actually stopping the 14/15 year olds that are getting drunk and setting them off in phone boxes and street corners.
Agree with this
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
Sorry, but I think the original poll is a bit flawed. I think they should be made available for general sale, but only for short durations ie the week of bonfire night, the new year, divali etc. None of my animals are even remotely bothered by them, and as someone who finds it very difficult to attend a public display due to health probs. Sitting in my back garden all wrapped up in a blanket watching hubby setting some off is a lot of fun
You are so so lucky in having animals that are not upset or severely traumatised by fireworks.

I understand your wanting to watch a mini display in your own back garden, but the idea that limiting the sale of fireworks will prevent people setting them off at random times on random days just would not work. Fireworks are not on general sale for many months of the year as it is, but it doesn't stop people hoarding them and letting them off whenever they feel like it.

I loathe them. I know of four dogs now that have died as a direct result of them........that is my tiny world; how many must it be nationwide?

Sorry, but this is something that I feel so strongly about.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Let's not forget there are many people who are also utterly terrified of them!
aaron415
New Member!
Male 

22-10-2012, 06:15 PM
All I know is my dog HATES fireworks!

I personally love them and think there great to watch.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Just wondering how people feel about having certain types of fireworks available to the general public and not others? Tamer things like catherine wheels and traffic lights being able to be bought for garden displays and save the louder, more powerful fireworks for public displays.

I'm all for banning them apart from public displays but I do understand what some people are saying about being penalised by the actions of the minority of muppets. Just wondering if that would be an acceptable compromise?

Downsides would be that even things like sparklers can cause serious injuries but upsides would be that there would be less noise, less light, as they are less powerful most of the rubbish would fall in their own garden and hopefully if any windows were going to get broken they would belong to the people that were letting them off as they wouldn't be able to travel far enough to damage other houses. They wouldn't be loud enough or produce enough light to cause such a problem for pets, wildlife and people.
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >