register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Fireworks should they be freely available to the general public
Should fireworks only be allowed at liscensed public displays 74 89.16%
Or Freely available to the public to buy 9 10.84%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Displays only here too. I saw fireworks being sold BOGOF feel that shouldn't be allowed or am I being over sensitive?
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Option B.

I don't buy fireworks myself, waste of money IMO but don't see why sensible people should be penalised for idiots.

Getting sick of living in a world where everyone gets punished by some brain dead moron!
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 05:48 PM
I personally HATE fireworks that make noise (I like the crackly pretty ones), but thankfully my dogs aren't bothered in the slightest with them.

I think for safety measures, they should only be done at organised, liscensed events though - BUT the Police are already stretched enough to have to keep an eye on that as well as everything else.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
I saw fireworks being sold BOGOF feel that shouldn't be allowed or am I being over sensitive?
No you are not, not at all! The more expensive they are, the less cretins will just be able to chuck them around. I don't think that just the wealthy should be able to afford fireworks while they are still available to the general public, but if you have to pay a fair bit for them it would be less tempting to let them off randomly than if they are free.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 06:20 PM
I am in two minds about it. We usually do fireworks most years and we enjoy it. Obviously we could live without doing it but as others have said, I don't really like punishing the majority for the minorities actions. I remember especially looking forward to Bonfire night as a kid doing the fireworks and sparklers in the garden. It would be a shame to ban that.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 06:23 PM
A for me,

Hate the damn things,thankfully my two are not frightened of them,two went off this afternoon about 4.30pm when I was out with the dogs and neither bothered,didn't even lift there heads,they were more interested in sniffing the grass

Every year we hear about fireworks causing injury to children & animals and it's about time the sale of them was restricted to organised displays only.
Tiggertum
New Member!
Female 

20-10-2012, 06:30 PM
I used to love the bonfire night parties we had when I was little but times have changed and animal cruelty is on the rise. I dread this time of year as my cats love being outside but I worry every time they're out doors in case some scumbag decides to hurt them by either throwing a firework or tying to their tails etc. It also annoys me that they're sold weeks before bonfire night so idiots are letting them off every night weeks in advance. Last week someone was letting them off at 11pm. I do think if they must be sold it should only be in the few days before Nov 5th.
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-10-2012, 07:02 PM
I voted for the 1st option.

If you tried to buy the ingredients that go into fireworks separately I suspect you would be investigates to see if you are a terrorist but as it stands any adult can go and buy these explosives.

My long held opinion is that the sale of fireworks should only be done under licence and that to obtain a licence you should have to pay something like £20 and attend 2 half hour sessions covering firework safety and first aid. Licences should last a year and "events" should have to be advised to the council and police. That way anyone wishing to have display can but they would have to be pretty serious about it.

Fireworks safety should also, of course, cover things like where is the smoke going to go, given the current charges against the organiser of last years display at Taunton Rugby Club and the fatal crashes on the adjacent motorway.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
A for me,

Hate the damn things,thankfully my two are not frightened of them,two went off this afternoon about 4.30pm when I was out with the dogs and neither bothered,didn't even lift there heads,they were more interested in sniffing the grass

Every year we hear about fireworks causing injury to children & animals and it's about time the sale of them was restricted to organised displays only.
For that reason alone I think it should be restricted to organised displays.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2012, 07:39 PM
option A for me too
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »