View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Just want to point out that ROBINS are not YELLOW!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2014, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Just want to point out that ROBINS are not YELLOW!
erm, not sure anyone said they were
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2014, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Thanks Nikki, I knew you would see it from my angle, you're always on the same page as me

Ahemm, in my defence, if you go on the BBC nature website, you will see where I got this idea from, it's there in black and white on the write up about robins - honest!
Yup! It makes perfect sense to me ... it's called thinking outside the box
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2014, 08:02 AM
Awwww, I hope it isn't an escapee cos it won't last long if it is will it, poor little birdie.

The robins hop alongside us sometimes on my woodland walks, hopping from branch to branch or just along the ground, and I always like to think they're little messengers (which they are!) so I always think of those who I have lost and the messages they might have for me but then I am a bit daft as yer know.

I found out on countryfile, that the reason robins hop alongside you is because they think we're pigs Strange but true, because years ago, when all the wild pigs were about, they used to rummage through the ground, making an ideal food station for the little robins as they moved on, and so the robins would follow them. I was most disillusioned when they told me that I'm sticking with my original theory on this, because it makes me feel better than thinking I might look like a pig lol!

I don't believe that crazy idea for a second..There are two robins here vying for my attention and last year at the market stall I helped raise one from plain to red breasted

Sure they come to us for food.. also if you are driving on a country lane very early they will fly to your headlights and stay ahead of you as they think you are sun.

We are after all sun and food for them in our own right. Sensible wee birds..
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
I don't believe that crazy idea for a second..There are two robins here vying for my attention and last year at the market stall I helped raise one from plain to red breasted

Sure they come to us for food.. also if you are driving on a country lane very early they will fly to your headlights and stay ahead of you as they think you are sun.

We are after all sun and food for them in our own right. Sensible wee birds..
You'd better take this up with the BBC then Rosebud, cos here is the page.....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/...20060116.shtml

If you look down to paragraph 8, there it is, as large as life, I never made it up lol!

Sorry to turn your lovely yellow bird thread into a red robin one Pat
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2014, 12:34 PM

If you look down to paragraph 8, there it is, as large as life, I never made it up lol!

No need to look it up; these crazy off the wall ideas are all the same.. just that and it being in black and white cuts no ice with me... I trust my own observations. Robens come to us for food and always I fed them on pavements not on earth

PS looks more like a finch than a canary
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2014, 07:18 PM
Not yellow enough to be a canary

Very sweet though Tang.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2014, 08:55 PM

No need for apologies Helena (she of the grasshopper brain - something I have too!) I've never thought threads should stay strictly on topic unless they are in the more 'serious' sections.

After all you don't go into a pub and start a conversation and expect no one to deviate from the original topic for the whole evening do you?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Not yellow enough to be a canary

Very sweet though Tang.
Oh it was VERY yellow Bitkin. But by the time I'd cropped it on my phone cam to be even visible it sort of 'faded'. The original pic made it look like a yellow speck!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2014, 08:59 PM
The only robin I feed is the one outside my son's place in Bath and that's in a raised flower bed outside his front door.

Might be a finch I s'pose but I doubt it's a wild bird as Cypriots trap and kill millions of them annually - so I doubt any wild bird in Cyprus would hop alongside you on a walk!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >