Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Which sadley only goes to show high hed have to have that collar to get a effect!!!!

I was under the impression that pits were very bright & clever & trainable

I don't know any personally, but my ma and pa had a pitbull cross. He was as thick as a brick, but very lovable and totally trustworthy with my daughter, who was then very young.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Sorry wrong link..try again..

http://www.onetruemedia.com/my_share...edium=text_url
Brilliant ! I love it when the Mal hiding under the floppy bit of the castle comes popping out as it inflates !!

What comedians these lovely dogs are !! They remind me so much of Hal, who was very mally in his look and shape. He had that permanent laughing face too, bless him.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Look at the last link there are loads..the trampoline one is thre too
FAB to see those again Louise!!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
FAB to see those again Louise!!
I forgot they were there..I was looking for the one of CJ on a pony...(sadly she was PTS a week or so ago)
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
I didn't realize Daddy was that old! Oh that just makes it even worse I didn't like that episode at all, it just seemed like a big shock collar promotion! Surely you could just train the dog to recall whenever it sees a snake, or something like that? I seem to remember something about a rattlesnake vaccination also, but it wasn't very effective or something...
In this country I can't see any justification for e-collars. I'd keep my dog onleash until the problem could be solved with positive methods.

in order to do that, CM would need to be a dog trainer? as we have heard from many on here, hes not that, he doesnt train dogs to sit, heal come, so he would be a bit lost in that sinario.

though yes what you say is right, a dog can be trained very well to leave things alone, it doesnt take long.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Jackbox : Yet again, you take my posting entirely out of context. I said it was cruel to subject MY dog to a life on a lead. I wasn' implying that if you keep your dog on a lead, then you are being cruel, I have no idea what breed you are talking about. But to keep a supremely fit and active Alaskan Malamute cross Siberian Husky on the lead IMO would be immensely cruel.
yet if you talk to many top breeders of sibes and mals they dont let there dogs off lead in wide open areas, they normaly only do so in same enclosed areas due to the nature of the breed,

And I wouldn't do it. I would ... and have, thanks to CM's methods ... trained him NOT to chase and eat the chickens when they escape out on to the set aside and hide under the hedge when we walk past. NOT to chase sheep when we bike past the field. To have a reasonably good recall. NOT to chase horses (I still have to put him on the lead if they canter ... working on that one !).

Thanks to using calm assertive energy.
can you post a vid of your dog being so good in all these sinarios? I would love to see a sibe mal x who has no prey drive, does he chase bunnies?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Quite, of course round livestock, dangerous roads, clifftops etc. etc. I would put ANY dog on a lead, however brilliantly obedient. But I am not talking about those situations, i am talking about a life on a lead. That, to my mind, is cruel.
why? why is it cruel, lets face it these dogs are not on leads all day every day like a chained up dog,

they are given a walk on lead, with as much freedom to roam and run in back gardens often,

when Im getting my dogs fit for shows, I often lead walk them, it builds great muscle.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 09:48 PM
E-collars are not meant to be used with a shock...you are meant to use the lowest 'stim' possible so that the dog barely notices....and then teach it....like touching the dog on the side...

THis was the way I saw it used. It was with a dog aggressive doberman who was on a last chance and due to be pts. The trainer I was working with used an e-collar on her. I still knew her 2 years later when she started competing at agility.

Knowing what I know now, I believe she could have been sorted out with other methods.

Let me re-iterate...I do not like them and would never use them, but I have read the training manuals (I have also had one strapped to me and used!)
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Good point. But I have trained Tai to come away on command. I cannot trust him around sheep, but ground nesters and flapping fledgings provided I am alert, I can call him off before he has pounced.

But he is not perfect, and I will be the first to admit that although it hasn't happened so far, he will undoubtedly one day get a partridge - God forbid. Or some other ground nesting bird like a pheasant or sky lark. He does make the most awful racket though, he sounds like a galloping horse coming so hopefully they will remain safe if they are in the long grass through which he doesn't go.

It is after all part of nature that these species are near the bottom of the food chain. I won't keep my dog permanently on the lead during the nesting season just in case he may catch a bird before I can call him off.
Why?
Your dog is not part of that food chain. Your dog is fed. Your dog is a pet. Those birds are free. Your dog should not be allowed to frighten the ground nesting birds so much that they abandon a nest of chicks. How can you think that is okay?
Is it not now part of the deal in the countryside that dogs are actually walked on leads of no more than 1 metre in length during lambing time/nesting time? That covers May/June/July?
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
At the end of the day if CM is such a fantastic dog communicator.....couldnt he just teach daddy the "leave" command?
Exactly, another great post Mish
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
yet if you talk to many top breeders of sibes and mals they dont let there dogs off lead in wide open areas, they normaly only do so in same enclosed areas due to the nature of the breed,

can you post a vid of your dog being so good in all these sinarios? I would love to see a sibe mal x who has no prey drive, does he chase bunnies?
Apparently he is allowed to chase bunnies and will probably catch a bird at some point.

People have mentioned examples of ecollar training on here that clearly display that ecollar training is not reliable. I am pretty convinced Tango has had an ecollar on in her past and I have to say she is clueless,bless her. Apart from it being painful...I do not think it works in terms of long term training, unless a dog is made to be exceptionally fearful.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-06-2009, 12:11 AM
I've got to go, OH is giving me hell !! I wish he'd shut up and go back to the news !!

Nite all, I shall dream of beautiful Mally's and watch the rest of the vids tomorrow Louise !! Thanks so much for sharing.
Please keep the spam out of our serious sections. If you are going to bed and want others, to know, just add a note in your signature

Also, re Mini clarifying what Claire was saying - I'd have stepped in to do the same. Claire's post was on topic, and so you needed to be corrected or it wouldn't have been fair on Claire.

Also a general note to everyone, please stay on topic in the serious sections!!
Page 12 of 45 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »