Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-01-2009, 05:49 PM

Barking for attention

Chip,9 months has the loudest most piercing bark in the world. In the evenings after food, toilet routine we play or train for a bit and then I expect him to settle. He tries bringing me toys or putting his head on my lap and when that doesn't get him any attention he barks and barks and barks
Now all I can think of is ignoring it or putting him out of the room. Praising when he's quiet means he starts up again as soon as I stop telling him how good he is. If I ignore Mike actually gets a sore head and if I put him out he barks and/ or scratches the kitchen door.
Any ideas would be appreciated. Its impossible to talk or think with his racket
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2009, 08:53 AM
I know exactly what you mean. Fudge just stands and barks. She has a really high pitched bark she uses especially to try and get attention. I have found that it is worse if she has not been mentally challenged . I have bought all sorts of different treat balls and use them to distract her when she gets really bad. This does mean however that in a roundabout way she is being rewarded for the barking.

I will be interested to see how other people tackle this one. I seem to remember Lottie having the same issue with one of hers (apologies Lottie if I have got the wrong person!)
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2009, 05:14 PM
I saw this post yesterday evening and thought I would wait and see what advice was given before suggesting this. I have now put on my asbestos suit because I'm expecting to get flamed!

I know someone who resolved a similar problem using a plant misting bottle adjusted to squirt. A friend of mine with an ESS who was demanding attention by barking constantly in the house and not responding to other methods, was cured almost immediately.

There was also a similar thread a short while ago about someone else who had tried many different methods over a long period to stop their dog barking. They resorted to a spray collar and with lots of praise and treats when the dog was not barking and was behaving itself, is achieving a degree of success.

It's not ideal, but if I had a similar problem with one of my dogs and had tried everything else, I would at least consider it.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2009, 06:20 PM
I did indeed try the water spray gun and it caused even more barking as she went into a play bow and just changed the type of bark she was using. I am not convinced by spray collars as a positive training method.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2009, 06:28 PM
OOOOO I await advice because Hector sometimes drives me mad.

Gets his toys, pushes them to me, runs back and waits for toy to be thrown. If i dont throw it he barks and barks and whines.

If i put the toy away he will still bark.

I put him out of the room and, he like above, scratches and barks to come in.

Also as above, he is worse when he has been for a long walk and been active.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
I did indeed try the water spray gun and it caused even more barking as she went into a play bow and just changed the type of bark she was using. I am not convinced by spray collars as a positive training method.
I'm not convinced about it as a method either but would consider it in desperate circumstances. It may work, but then it may not...
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by catsta2001 View Post
OOOOO I await advice because Hector sometimes drives me mad.

Gets his toys, pushes them to me, runs back and waits for toy to be thrown. If i dont throw it he barks and barks and whines.

If i put the toy away he will still bark.

I put him out of the room and, he like above, scratches and barks to come in.

Also as above, he is worse when he has been for a long walk and been active.
One of my dogs was particularly bouncy after a walk. I give them a pigs ear each when we get back to allow the adrenalin and endorphins to subside!
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-01-2009, 07:40 PM
I know someone who used a collar that puffed air and it seemed to help, but I'm still hoping he might grow out of it
The annoying bit is he'll settle quietly during the day. Its just in the evening when we want sit down he starts
Could he just be getting tired and grumpy?
He also barks at some people. Just occasionally but it sounds so fierce
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2009, 08:49 PM
He's plunging headfirst into adolescence at 9 months (just a bit younger than my Ollie) so he's bound to be a bit challenging and awkward. You need to be firm but fair with him, to stop any of the little wrinkles becoming serious rubs as he gets older. I had forgotten how much hard work goes into producing a sensible grown up dog from scratch!!