Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Matt2311
New Member!
Male 

05-01-2009, 08:57 PM

How long to walk 15 week old Samoyed

Hi all,

I have previosly posted and had some great advice, so hopefully you can share some wisdom.

As mentioned in earlier post, I have a 15 week old Samoyed (my god they are alot of work, but great fun lol). She has endless amounts of energy!!!

I heard that you take them for 5 mins for every month they are old, so 15 mins each day. I do this but she wants out side all the time!!! She would walk all day if i let her.

I will be running every morning with her when she is old enoungh, i just dont know what that age is?

Any help would be great.
Matt
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm probably going to get flamed for this but I think 5 minutes for each month is a load of rubbish.

It's great as a guideline but I think it's fine to adapt it to your breed and use your own judgement. I mean a Chihuahua is hardly going to need the same amount of time on a walk as a Samoyed, for example.

We take Woody (ESS, 4 months) for long (an hour/hour and a half), off lead walks as he usually just sniffs and trots about and then if it's on lead (rarely) it's no more than 40 minutes a day.

The main thing is to make sure that he's not putting too much stress on those little bones, but you try telling that to a Springer who has just learnt the outside world and freedom off lead ;o)

Good luck with whatever you do and I'd love to see some pictures if you have any?
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post

We take Woody (ESS, 4 months) for long (an hour/hour and a half), off lead walks as he usually just sniffs and trots about and then if it's on lead (rarely) it's no more than 40 minutes a day.
An hour and a half is way way too lomg for a little puppy - what does your breeder reccomend? You run the risk of your pup ending up very leggy and it will not help his joints in the long run.
What made you decide that such long walks were appropriate for a baby?

The 5 minute rule is a good one to stick by generally -
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 10:08 PM
I used to have a Samoyed..and YES stick to the 5 minute rule.. (this rule is mainly for larger dogs to safeguard their joints as they take longer to mature)

BUT...Seiko used to get a walk morning and night..(15 minutes at 3 months total 30 minutes)
He used to get run of the garden/house and natural play was never stopped..

As for running..I would say around 9-12 months would be ok for running with her..but you better hope you can keep up..
Donny dog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Sorry but I'm going to agree with Pidge. Slate away!! Ruby loves being out for the same length of time that Woody does, sometimes a little longer. If we walked her for 5 minutes for each month of her life, she'd think she'd been hard done by. I'll welcome any feedback........................................an d anyone who'd care to walk her of course!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Not going to criticise..I just know that my dogs won't have any issues with their joints that may have been caused by overwalking when they were younger..I am happy to live with that..
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-01-2009, 10:42 PM
I am another who uses the 5 minute rule, its a good guide to work to as not to over do it.

We used to overwalk Storm when he was a pup when inexpeirienced owners and he paid later with joint problems. The labs now who we used the 5 minute rule with are fine. Just not worth the risk imo.
Jessie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2009, 10:53 PM
I own and breed (though not had puppies for several years) Samoyeds and i would recommend you stick to the "5 minutes rule". There is a big difference between walking a set route and running around the garden all day...

A route is determined by you and as already has been said, over-exercise can cause trauma to the puppys growing joints. Playing in the garden is determined by the pup and will consist of running, stopping, playing and sleeping.

Take your pup for your 15 min walk and then let her play in the garden
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 10:53 PM
15 minutes just wouldn't be enough for Monty. Also, if i were to only take him for 15 minutes for his 3 months then what effect does the hours he spends tearing round the house and garden do to him?? Am i then ment to make him sit still and not run at home? I appreciate that this method works for some people/breeds.

Monty gets an hour-ish in the morning and then an hour-ish in the evening. These are both street walks with a run in the park at the end. At the weekends he gets a nice field/beach/woods walk.

He also gets a little oil in his food everyday to help his joints.
Jessie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
15 minutes just wouldn't be enough for Monty. Also, if i were to only take him for 15 minutes for his 3 months then what effect does the hours he spends tearing round the house and garden do to him?? Am i then ment to make him sit still and not run at home? I appreciate that this method works for some people/breeds.

Monty gets an hour-ish in the morning and then an hour-ish in the evening. These are both street walks with a run in the park at the end. At the weekends he gets a nice field/beach/woods walk.

He also gets a little oil in his food everyday to help his joints.

Just covered this in the post above Mystic Meg Me hahaha
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »