register for free
View our sister sites
Breedia
Over 50s Forum
Catsey
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
grommit is offline  
Location: uk
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,959
Female 
 
28-12-2008, 11:03 PM

help! dog eaten liquorice

Just wondering if this is poisonous? Half a tub of liquorice allsorts was stolen and devoured by our hounds today
Reply With Quote
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
megan57collies is offline  
Location: Rugby, UK
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,174
Female 
 
29-12-2008, 07:09 AM
Don't know how many dogs stole them but as it's a natural laxative, be prepared for runny poops and possible vomitting. This is the worst case. You might find they are fine. Just keep an eye on them and leave plenty of water down.
Reply With Quote
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Pita is offline  
Location: Lincolnshire
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,218
Female 
 
29-12-2008, 07:33 AM
Don't think they will have more than a sugar induced energy burst and with greyhounds that will be a nice surprise.

Would not worry too much but as always call for a vet if worried.
Reply With Quote
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Vicki is offline  
Location: In a land far, far away
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 41,933
Female 
 
29-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Possibly squitty bum syndrome...... just keep an eye on them and the liquorice allsorts out of reach
Reply With Quote
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
grommit is offline  
Location: uk
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,959
Female 
 
29-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Thanks for your replies. He managed to hold on all night but sprinted into the garden this morning and it was just liquid. At least we know which one is the thief now!
Reply With Quote
DalaiMama
Dogsey Junior
DalaiMama is offline  
Location: Nr. Guildford, UK
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 137
Female 
 
29-12-2008, 12:38 PM
LOL! Glad he is ok.

We found out who ate the sweeties once because there were whole wrappers in the poo, glutton had eaten them wrappers and all.

Caught Rose running round the house with a turkey wing, it was with the bits set aside to go on their dinner and as she can't reach the worktop I presume that Archer did the deed and she pinched it off him. I had only turned my back for a moment. She gave it up without struggle and it went straight out in the bin. All this food around must be such a temptation because they aren't usually so naughty. Glad I caught her in time though, cooked poultry bones being so dangerous.
Reply With Quote
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Magic is offline  
Location: uk
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 353
Female 
 
29-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Glad he is ok! I had one greedy bee... that ate 75% of my Xmas Thornton chocs after I had gone to bed, poisonous stuff for sure for a dog. I don't even think that particularly greedy bee... even had the runs lol
Reply With Quote
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Borderdawn is offline  
Location: uk
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 18,505
Female 
 
29-12-2008, 02:26 PM
He should be fine, organic colonic irregation for Dogs!!
Reply With Quote
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
CheekyChihuahua is offline  
Location: n/a
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,456
Female 
 
29-12-2008, 02:30 PM
My greedy Chi boy ate a bowl of chocolate raisins the other day . Looked it up on the net and read stuff like "one raisin can kill a small dog" - I was beside myself. Tried to make him sick but he wasn't having any of it, so cooked him a saucepan of boiled rice (don't know why but just thought it might help ) and stayed up most of the night with him, emergency Vet number at hand, in case he started to show any worrying symptoms. He slept like a log (snoring and all) and in the morning didn't even have a runny poo. Little g*t - worried the life out of me!
Reply With Quote
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
grommit is offline  
Location: uk
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,959
Female 
 
29-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
My greedy Chi boy ate a bowl of chocolate raisins the other day . Looked it up on the net and read stuff like "one raisin can kill a small dog" - I was beside myself. Tried to make him sick but he wasn't having any of it, so cooked him a saucepan of boiled rice (don't know why but just thought it might help ) and stayed up most of the night with him, emergency Vet number at hand, in case he started to show any worrying symptoms. He slept like a log (snoring and all) and in the morning didn't even have a runny poo. Little g*t - worried the life out of me!

Awww!!! bless you, they have us worried sometimes dont they. Greedy little pups. Glad to hear he's fine.

We had a nightmare incident christmas day as well, Paris dived into a hedge and a ate what we think was a mince pie still in the foil case!!!
Luckily my dad was with us, he wrestled it off her, having to stick his hand almost down her throat to stop her swallowing it
She then threw it back up and tried to snatch it off the floor to eat it again.
To give her some credit though and considering she hardly knows my dad she didnt snarl, bite or injure him in the slightest! not even a dirty look!
Cant even imagine how much the foil could have hurt her insides. So glad dad was so quick thinking.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top