View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 10:09 AM

Harrods selling puppies, cats and other small livestock!

Well, my trip to London was more or less a complete disappointment (more on that on another thread).

Went to Harrods on Thursday for a browse around and was completely horrified to learn that Harrods are selling very young pedigree puppies, pedigree cats and kittens, and other small livestock (didn't get the chance to look at what they were as I was so upset at that point I just wanted away from this department to make my complaint).

Can't remember the breed of cats, but they were selling Pug pups for £1,800!

They were in small, lit, locked rooms. I couldn't see any form of ventilation (perhaps the rooms were air conditioned). The rooms had full, glass fronts and everyone was glaring in at these poor animals. It was a total freakshow and I was so disgusted I thought I was going to be physically sick.

I asked a female employee were these pups taken outside for the toilet, she said "yeah, we've just sold one". I told her she should be disgusted at this and the sale of these animals from this store should be stopped immediately!

The puppies were very young, no more that a few months old at the most and they all looked really subdued and depressed. Which made me think they might possibly have been sedated.....Just a thought.

I ventured down from the 5th floor down to the Lower Ground floor to make a complaint. They first member or staff I cam across said he did not want to know! I said, in no uncertain terms, that he will show me where I can make a complaint NOW! He said "right this way, madame".

I was then offered a seat while another member or staff got the paperwork out for my complaint. He asked me could he get me a drink of water, I said "forget the bloody water and take my complaint now!".

I explained everything, telling him that it was downright unethical and irresponsible. Also that it was cruelty and imprisonment. I told him that it was a total freakshow and that there are enough animals in rescue centres everywhere confined like this and that's a necessity, this isn't! He actually agreed with me completely! Whether that was the case or not, I don't know, perhaps it was just to try and pacify me. Hmm.

It's a wonder I didn't get flung out! But I wouldn't have cared. This will scar me for life now. ANYONE can go in and buy one of these animals! It's not better than puppy farming, it really isn't. That's what it is. Folk who have more money that sense will buy these animals! Who know what might happen to some of them.

I haven't looked in to the petitions etc to see if there is a campaign to stop this, but I had no idea Harrods were selling livestock. They weren't selling animals when I was in there last November!

How do I go about doing something about stopping the sale of these animals? It's more the puppies and cats/kittens that concern me most.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 10:14 AM
What the f I'm speechless, are we going backwards in this bloody country or what. That is disgraceful. and shame on El Fyed for letting it happen.
Did you ask where the pups and kittens came from? I don't know what to say and am totally gobsmacked
Well done you for putting up a hoohar over it.
Those poor animals something must be done and done now!!!
Elaine xx
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Seems it's been going on for a while I found this thread from another website, take a look.
http://www.*********forum.co.uk/board/topic/1299.html

This link might get deleted as I think it is a dog forum, not sure though
Elaine x

scrap that it has been deleted. will try and find out some more from elsewhere for you
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Ok found the petition site for you

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/468623560
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 10:21 AM
apparently harrods have done it for years. there is another store that you can buy pups from... is it pets 4U or somit...

I doubt very much the dogs were sedated.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
What the f I'm speechless, are we going backwards in this bloody country or what. That is disgraceful. and shame on El Fyed for letting it happen.
Did you ask where the pups and kittens came from? I don't know what to say and am totally gobsmacked
Well done you for putting up a hoohar over it.
Those poor animals something must be done and done now!!!
Elaine xx
I know, Elaine, I was completely sickened and couldn't bear to look any longer than I had to.

Shame on him completely!

It said on a sign that the puppies were from reputable breeders. Reputable???!!! What reputable breeders would sell to bloody Harrods or any shop for that matter?! None would! It's sick!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
apparently harrods have done it for years. there is another store that you can buy pups from... is it pets 4U or somit...

I doubt very much the dogs were sedated.
Oh god, it gets worse!

Well, I for one am sickened and will contribute in trying to get this stopped.

There were no animals on display last year, or a few years ago when I was there. Maybe they're putting them on display now as it's coming up to Chrismas.

This is all bad enough, but selling them like this at this time of year is very sad.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Did you see the petition site I posted up? It's been going on for years
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 10:37 AM
A good idea is to complain to the district council . It's up to them if shops are allowed to sell kittens and puppies .
Here in Edinburgh they don't allow it but Glasgow for instance does
Angel44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2008, 10:37 AM
I was last in London 11 years ago (I hate big cities so once a decade is more than enough) and I saw puppies in Harrods then. I was quite surprised to see it then. They were behind glass then too, so no contact allowed at all. The price tag on a cage of golden retriever puppies was £700 and that was 11 years ago I don't know how any self respecting breeder can allow their puppies to go into a situation like that. Puppy farming does spring to mind
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »