Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 11:47 PM

Vets Fees Ref Treatments/Medicine

Just wondering what everyone else thinks about how much vets charge for wormers/ flea treatments and medicines as opposed to buying such items online? I think Vets charge too much, I do understand they have staff to pay and bills for the building etc but I also think that they get a fair few pounds from the medical treatment/check ups etc that they administer to our animals.

Any thoughts?
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 11:52 PM
I personnelly think vets are the biggest rip off's going.

Take take take.....

I buy my flea stuff on line and am thinking about getting a prescription for metacalm instead of buying it at the vets and sending that off as well, just need to check the price difference out though!

They have had £8,000 out of me in the last year, so maybe i am a bit bitter.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2008, 07:21 AM
I had a similar thing, one of our guinea pigs had skin mites, so I popped him off to the vets, with consult and 1 injection I was charged £25.00, I was told to come back in a week, so I went back a second injection, consult and a shampoo cost £38.00....I was pondering over the breakdown, The consult was £5.50, the injection £19.50 leaving the shampoo at a staggering £18.00 so I went on line and checked a few site and got the same stuff and size bottle for £3.50.......I took the shampoo back and asked for my money back, ok they didn't really like it, but sh**happens
rottiedad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-11-2008, 08:15 AM
were lucky here have a pet chemist and everything we need from vets we get the prescription and take it their saves us a fare amount of money and if u have 1 dog or more the bills can soon mount up
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2008, 09:32 AM
I am lucky as after speaking to my vets about prices they have agreed to sell me thier stuff, (food, wormers and flea treatments) at online prices.
They said they will match any price I can get it online for as long as I take in a print out showing them what it would cost as proof.
rottiedad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-11-2008, 09:37 AM
thats good il try that1
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Madmare, you are lucky that your vets will match online prices. That must be pretty rare.

I buy regular treatments worming/flea etc online, but the prescription stuff I would probably buy at the vets, though touchwood I haven't needed to yet with Cox.
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2008, 10:07 AM
After Sam had his op to reconnect his toe, I was told to take him back to have the dressing changed and the stitches checked. I asked how long I was likely to need to bring him in and was told "oh, every three or four days unless he pulls at it..."
After the first time, I had a whopping £12.50 bill, for having had a vet nurse check the stitches and bandage it up again - I was being charged £5 for a bit of vetwrap! I explained that I'm a dab hand at bandaging (having a very accident prone horse) and have several rolls of vetwrap at home (at a cost of £1.50 a roll ) so would they please show me what to check for and I would do it myself, rather than put Sam through a lot of trips to the vets and a massive bill - having already paid more than £100 for the operation itself. We worked out that doing it myself cost me about £7 in total, in rolls of vetwrap and menolin to pad out his toes, and to have taken him to the vet would have cost more than £50 not including the petrol to travel back and forth.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
Madmare, you are lucky that your vets will match online prices. That must be pretty rare.

I buy regular treatments worming/flea etc online, but the prescription stuff I would probably buy at the vets, though touchwood I haven't needed to yet with Cox.
They don't advertise the fact and I have always until now paid full price there, it wasn't till I told the vet I was going to buy Milos perscription diet £14 cheaper online from now on she said they would match the prices for the food wormer and flea stuffs if I still got it from them.
Just shows the profit they make if they can afford to do that.
Its worth any of you asking, but speak to your vet not the receptionist.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I am lucky as after speaking to my vets about prices they have agreed to sell me thier stuff, (food, wormers and flea treatments) at online prices.
They said they will match any price I can get it online for as long as I take in a print out showing them what it would cost as proof.
When i went to buy my frontline (2 different size dogs x 6 months supply). I looked on line and then telephoned my vet for their prices, it was nearly double. So i told them what the prices where on line and that if they would match it i would come and buy it from them. They said they wouldn't.... so their loss i bought it on line.

Did used to get a couple of pound of a large bag of royal canin dog food at the vets, as it was sold cheaper else where though. They did match that price.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >