Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 09:29 PM

Acne/Oily Skin

Now and again, I get slight acne. Well, a couple of spots! It's better now that it was years ago. When I get the spots and I get an oily t-zone.

I've recently come off the pill and I'm really worried about it flaring up again. I really don't want to be back where I started.

Does anyone have any really good tips and advice on how to keep acne and oily skin at bay?

I've tried the lotions and potions, and also antibiotics for a time. The topical treatments helped for a while, then didn't, and the antibiotics helped greatly when I was on them. When I come off them my skin flares up again, obviously can't be on them long term.

Please, I hope some of you have.

Thank you.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 09:33 PM
my skinw as crap but its slowly getting better

boots 'skin clear' - spot stick....
- dries my skin out but its worth it - my skin still isnt perfect but its slowly getting there

i also use boots own facial stuff - white tube

i have tried everything - expensive to cheap and so far this is doing well - i cant remmeber the price of it

hth
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
my skinw as crap but its slowly getting better

boots 'skin clear' - spot stick....
- dries my skin out but its worth it - my skin still isnt perfect but its slowly getting there

i also use boots own facial stuff - white tube

i have tried everything - expensive to cheap and so far this is doing well - i cant remmeber the price of it

hth
Hi Suze,

I've tried loads of washes and things, too. Some help a bit but not a lot!

I'm using tea trea facial wash at the minute, it helps at first but it gets a bit oily during the day.

What's the Boots own stuff in the white tube? Is it a wash or something?

Thanks.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 09:47 PM
hiya - yeh its afacial wash - imo i think its really good! i just eat rubbish foods which dont help lol!

boots own - white tube - med size - only abotu 3/4 quid
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 10:09 PM
As a teenager and into my early twenties i was always complimented on what good skin i had.

Then my mum was terminally ill and i cared for her for 3 years and at this point i started to get acne, probabley from the stress.

I'm 37, had 2 kiddies, and it never got better. I tried everything on the market, paying sometimes £100 on fantastic skin products. All never worked. At the time of the month i get spots and thats that.

I went to the doctor a few months ago, as it was just getting me down and he recommended some tablets and a cream.

My skin looks fantastic and and hasn't been this good since i was early twenty's. So if it gets that bad i really recommend a doctors visit.

I thought there would be nothing they could do and felt really silly going, but he was brilliant.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Shiba, that's brilliant! Really glad you found something that's worked.

I'm having real skin problems at the moment. I have eczema on my face - it's worst on my cheeks and chin - really dry and it cracks. So I have to put a really greasy steroid cream on it. Then this grease gives me spots! I'd just got over my mild teenage acne, then the eczema flare-ups have made it much worse! Will be going to the doctors again soon, but so far, I'm only treating the eczema, so I don't know what I can do?

Hope you can find something that helps Nicola - will be watching this thread with interest too!
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 10:23 PM
The tablets i am on are called tetralysal, they are an antibiotic, but you can stay on them for years.

I take one a day. I believe they kill the bacteria before it forms a spot, so might be worth looking into.

#Good luck.
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2008, 02:55 PM
I had problem with adult acne (more like boils than spots!) in my mid-late 20's (41 now). Tried oxytetracycline and Dalacin T. Eventually went on a course of Roaccutane as a last resort and used Dianette/Ovranette contraceptives which were good for skin.

I still get the odd spot but I find Superdrug's Tea Tree range very good (they do a sensitive range as well) and I swear by Sudocrem if I get a spot!
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 03:16 PM
The best thing is your diet - unfortunatly!!!

NOt too much oil and grease and as i said on another thread CAFFEINE is a major cause of bad skin!!
If you dont drink coffee or tea you will prob never have a spot again (or any other caffeine drinks or foods).
I cant give up choc but dont have anything else with caffeine in it
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by shiba View Post
As a teenager and into my early twenties i was always complimented on what good skin i had.

Then my mum was terminally ill and i cared for her for 3 years and at this point i started to get acne, probabley from the stress.

I'm 37, had 2 kiddies, and it never got better. I tried everything on the market, paying sometimes £100 on fantastic skin products. All never worked. At the time of the month i get spots and thats that.

I went to the doctor a few months ago, as it was just getting me down and he recommended some tablets and a cream.

My skin looks fantastic and and hasn't been this good since i was early twenty's. So if it gets that bad i really recommend a doctors visit.

I thought there would be nothing they could do and felt really silly going, but he was brilliant.
Oh, wow, Shiba! Sounds like you've finally found something that really helps your skin!

I shall note down the name of your antibiotic and how often you take it.

Although my skin isn't bad at the minute, I fear it'll flare up quite a bit again if it's not treated. Like you, I've spent a fortune on products, none worked. I've tried several prescribed creams as well, they didn't work.

Then I was put on Dianette, which really helped but I couldn't take it forever and was advised to stop taking it now.

Antibiotics work really well and if I find I can take them like you and it has the same effect, then I'll be really thankful! I got my appointment in today for the dermatologist. it's next week, so I will mention ths to them! It was the doctor who recommended seeing the dermatologist as there are things they can prescribe that GPs can't, and there are loads of new things now to when I was last there years ago, so it's worth a visit. I never wanted to be on Roaccutane as it wasn't that bad, but it's bad enough!

Thanks again for the advice!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >