View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2008, 09:49 PM

Okay, we've bought a crate - so now what?

Absolutely everyone we've spoken to about Woody's "issues" has suggested getting a crate, so when a friend offered to pick one up for us from the wholesalers we agreed.

It's all set up with his pillow and blanket and a load of toys.

He's been in there on his own without any coaxing but alll he does is sniff about and fetch a toy out (and try to scrabble/chew the bars).

We'll settle him into his usual place tonight,, but at what stage should we start to shut him in there at night? I know he will howl and fuss about it and I just can't imagine him settling in there for a naps in the evening instead of his usual spot, by our feet????!!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2008, 09:52 PM
How old is he?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2008, 09:54 PM
There is an article here on Dogsey on crate training

The Crate: What is it? How should it be used?
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Try throwing in a treat and then shutting the door for a minute or two when he goes in. Then I'd build up the time with you still in the room. Once he's happy in there with you there try leaving him for a minute or two just go out of the room and come back in. Build up the time and soon he'll get the idea. If you leave the door open all the time and feed him in there, put toys in and treats he'll soon see it as a good place to go.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2008, 10:02 PM
The reason why i asked how old he was because if he is 8 or 9 weeks i would do the same as i did with Tonks.

I covered two thirds of her crate with blankets, used a snuggle pad, the kind you heat up in the microwave, put a jumper of mine in with her, made sure she had been to the loo and left a ticking clock near the crate, the ignore any whining etc.

The first few nights she was away from her litter she was in the bedroom with us and if she whinned i let her sniff my finger through the bars and then praised her quietly when the whining stopped. Then i only used my voice to praise her very very gently when she stopped.

The crate was then moved to the kitchen once she was happy being in it.

Some people prefer to leave the crate where it will be, e.g. the kitchen, and set up a camp bed for themselves in with the puppy and stay with them for a few nights.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Hi. He's 9 weeks this Sat. We've had him since Tue before last but have just bought a crate for him. He settles at night fine now and I'm worried that putting him in the crate will digress this.
I'm just not sure I like it! ;o(
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Hi. He's 9 weeks this Sat. We've had him since Tue before last but have just bought a crate for him. He settles at night fine now and I'm worried that putting him in the crate will digress this.
I'm just not sure I like it! ;o(
Hopefully it won't as long as he has a small amount of water, his usual bed, toys etc and you do his normal night time routine.

A lot of people who don't like the idea of crates don't like it because they are seeing it from a human perspective not a dogs. Puppies are not built to be alone, they should be in a safe place (usually a dark den like place) with others. Now he can't be with others, but he can have his own dark den like place, which feels more secure than a large room.

Lots of adult dogs often prefer to be underneath something when they are relaxing, e.g having their bed under a table, or resting with their head under or behind a sofa/coffee table etc....because they feel safer!

His crate should be a safe haven, as long as he does not have his collar on in the crate (v important for small pups as they can get it caught) and the toys that go in with him are safe ones, he cannot damage himself or do damage to the house from in there.
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Hiya,

We have a crate for Hamish, had it since we got him at 8 weeks. We weren't sure whether to get one at first but looked on the net and eventually decided it would be best, especially as we have 2 cats and wanted to introduce them slowly. We covered the crate with a blanket and made it all cosy and gradually increased the time Hamish was in it.

Now he is a bit older we don't tend to use it apart from if we are staying at someone else's house but we still have it up at home as Hamish sees it as a comfort and will go there when he is tired/unwell/scared/just sneaked away with a sock!

I think the key is making it a positive expereince and letting pup get used to it gradually.

Good Luck, let us know how you get on,

Deedee xx
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2008, 10:25 PM

We'll settle him into his usual place tonight,,

he should start to sleep in the crate at night with the door open, if you prefer.
I just can't imagine him settling in there for a naps in the evening instead of his usual spot, by our feet????!!
he probably won't - he needs as much of your company as you can give him.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 10:09 AM
He went in it this morning and slept for an hour (while hubby was on duty and I had a much needed lie-in). But hasn't been in it since.
We entice him in there with toys and treats, but he just takes them out again and lies by our feet.
when should I shut the door? I don't want to ruin this by freaking him out.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »