Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 07:27 PM

Digging at the carpet

One of mine is doing this.

Not in front of us, or I'd know who the culprit is.

However, Baz and I both suspect Roxy. I also think I heard her doing it (and panting) the other night when I was in bed.

Never done it before. Luckily, the carpet is good quality and is holding out - either that or Roxy's claws are knackered

Any suggestions as to why she might be doing this please?

For those of you who don't know her, she's a Shiba Inu and will be 13 in March.

Thanks guys
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Bryan does this - he digs the carpet, his bed, the duvet, anything really. I just assumed it was a terrier thing. I think sometimes he does it on his bed to make it into a 'nest'.

Is she doing it in one particular place? Maybe there's something she can smell?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Bryan does this - he digs the carpet, his bed, the duvet, anything really. I just assumed it was a terrier thing. I think sometimes he does it on his bed to make it into a 'nest'.

Is she doing it in one particular place? Maybe there's something she can smell?
Yes, Sarah, it does seem to be in just one or two places. I can seen the lines in the pile where she's been at it. There's no particlar smell in either place though.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Hmmm it's a strange one. She's never done it before? Does she dig in the garden?

Sorry, not much help am I
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Hmmm it's a strange one. She's never done it before? Does she dig in the garden?

Sorry, not much help am I
Never done it before. Never dug anywhere before. Totally out of character, which is why I'm asking the question, really. A complete mystery!
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm now wondering if this is an old Japanese dog trait because Nala (13 year old Akita) has started to do this too. However my carpet has not been as lucky as yours even though it is Axminster
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Just had a quick search online. The general concensus seems to be that they dig to make a comfy bed.

Is she ok in herself?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 07:54 PM
I hate to say it Vicki, but Cassie used to do this when she was in pain after she ate that poison and would suffer from time to time with bad stomach ache, I got to know when and why kind of thing. I'm sure she can't be having a phantom at her ripe old age, but I'm only mentioning this coz maybe, just maybe she's been in a bit of pain?

Edited to add: When horses have bad colic, they always, but always dig at the ground with a front leg, so maybe it applies in dogs too?
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Strange that this has just started vicki, no advice on that. But kai has done this FOREVER

Up he goes in the evening, into my bedroom, under the bed and then digs and scratches for 10 minutes before he gets comfy.

We moved a year ago and when we moved out our big heavy bed i was quite shocked at the mess he had made of our carpet. It was only a couple of years old.

Jess my newf digs the laminate some nights before she settles in the corner of the dining room.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 08:08 PM
I did wonder if it was stress..... or pain related. She's just recently had a nasty bug, which I thought she was over.

However, I "suspect" (and I really have no evidence, just a hunch) that there's something going on inside her.

Dean (vet) says not.........

Hmmmmm *strokes chin*
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >