Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-10-2008, 06:41 AM

Update on Mum.

Visited her yesterday go once a week as it such a long journey for me and took her some jellies and ham rolls over.
She took a jelly for her supper and had a small piece of ham roll while I was there.
she is in excrutiating pain and her left ankle is very swollen and hard, they took a swab of the scar on Tuesday when they took the dressing off they were not happy with it.
She is very down in the dumps as she knows if she gets back to the house her life is going to be so different from now on, no more gardening for her because we all feel she will be lucky if she walks again.
She is waiting for a bed to become vacant in the local rehab Hospital in Brentwood which will make my life a lot easier, only a half hour journey each way, and Gill lives in Brentwood.
We will have to wait and see what the rehab people can do with her, but if she ends up in a wheelchair we will have to think about moving her. The house would have to be gutted to make it wheelchair friendly.
If that is the case she will give up she is already giving in mentally. I think she realises what damage she has done this time.
She has learnt her lesson hopefully this time if she recovers fully from this and in a painful way.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2008, 07:03 AM
Your poor old Mum, it must be horrible to think you might not walk again - I'm sure I'd get depressed.

Fingers crossed for the move to the rehab hospital nearer you.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Aww so sad when our parents get to that stage...I know things haven't been easy for you Lynn, but I know that this time has really hit you hard. I hope your mum does start to make some good progress so that you can relax a bit, god knows Gill has had enough on her plate too, it will be nice if you can both have a bit of stress free time.

Big hugs xxxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-10-2008, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Your poor old Mum, it must be horrible to think you might not walk again - I'm sure I'd get depressed.

Fingers crossed for the move to the rehab hospital nearer you.
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Aww so sad when our parents get to that stage...I know things haven't been easy for you Lynn, but I know that this time has really hit you hard. I hope your mum does start to make some good progress so that you can relax a bit, god knows Gill has had enough on her plate too, it will be nice if you can both have a bit of stress free time.

Big hugs xxxx
Thankyou both, we will know more about the walking situation when she gets to a rehab Hospital, but I think we all have a gut feeling she is not recovering from this one nearly as well as she did with her right hip which was replaced after a fall in Dec 2006. By now she was up and bright and as a button. She is really struggling this time.
Gill is so tired so I am glad I managed to convince her to stay away for 3 days while the rest of us pick up the visiting between us.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Sorry to hear your mum isn't recovering as well this time. Fingers crossed she gets the place in the rehab hospital pretty quickly x
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Sorry to hear she won't be as mobile as she was. Maybe, the re-hab hospital will be able to get her walking again. It is awful when it comes to this, I know how you must be feeling, and it is dreadful for her to have to come to terms with all this.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Oh Lynn I am sorry, poor Mum.
But, rehab hospitals are sooooo much better at getting things sorted than normal general hospitals. They will have a better team of OT's physios and social workers and the pressure on beds is not as great so they will get the correct treatment for the correct amount of time as they really do have to make sure they are safe and able to cope with going home. Plus if home is not the right place right away they can sort somewhere in the meantime, sort adaptations etc if needed.
So more support for Mum, which means more for you too. Fingers crossed.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Poor mum, Lynn.......

Hugs to you all - not sure what else to say
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Sorry to hear she won't be as mobile as she was. Maybe, the re-hab hospital will be able to get her walking again. It is awful when it comes to this, I know how you must be feeling, and it is dreadful for her to have to come to terms with all this.
Thanks June she will come to terms with it to a a point. but we all feel now she will go downhill if she loses a lot or all of her mobility she is so use to being as independent as possible and this seems to of finished it all for her.
But like I said to her yesterday don't give up yet the rehab Hospital will be better equipped to deal with this.
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Oh Lynn I am sorry, poor Mum.
But, rehab hospitals are sooooo much better at getting things sorted than normal general hospitals. They will have a better team of OT's physios and social workers and the pressure on beds is not as great so they will get the correct treatment for the correct amount of time as they really do have to make sure they are safe and able to cope with going home. Plus if home is not the right place right away they can sort somewhere in the meantime, sort adaptations etc if needed.
So more support for Mum, which means more for you too. Fingers crossed.
Thanks Becky my thoughts exactly we will know when she gets there and they start working with her what the real state of play will be and if there is a chance of her gaining enough mobility to make her life worthwhile and her being able to cope at home alone.
If these things aren't possible anymore we are going to have a struggle on our hands with her, if she can't garden and cook for herself and has to sit in a chair all day it will be the decline in her we knew it would be. At 88 she hasn't done badly at all. But I think we are preparing ourselves for her decline and yet also thinking knowing her she may well have a quality of life left to her for a while which we will be acceptable to her. Until she has gone into rehab we don't really know for sure.

Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Poor mum, Lynn.......

Hugs to you all - not sure what else to say
Thankyou Vicki. xx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Sorry to hear about your Mom, Hugs to you all, I hope things get easier for you xxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >