Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-09-2008, 07:12 PM

Mum had her op today.

She was meant to have it yesterday but a major accident happened so it had to wait till this morning.
I ended up not going today as she was still in theatre at 1.30 pm so Gill popped in this evening.
She has a screw in the thigh, and they set the shoulder by manipulation not plastered. She was in a lot of pain while they did it as she only had a light anaeshetic.(sp)
She cannot use the other arm very well either so had her tea all down her and all over the bed and she is wetting the bed her bladder is very weak and they do not come along very quick with the bed pan and for some reason will not insert a cathetar (sp) for her.
I am now going on Thursday afternoon to visit.
I have a feeling she may be in there for a while or have to go somewhere to be nursed before going home this time. We will see.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Glad she is through the op, hopefully she gets some relief from the pain and gets a good nights rest.
There must be a reason for not catheterising her in theatre, the nurses may do it tonight so she can rest
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Glad she has come through the operation OK.
Yes, I think you are right - she will be in for a while and will probably need to go to a rehab bed or a nursing home for a while after. Hopefully the hospital will be able to help with sorting that out.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Oh Lynn....... *hugs*

Why won't they cathetise mum? Makes perfect sense.

Hospitals sometimes are such ghastly places to be.

x0x
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-09-2008, 06:15 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Oh Lynn....... *hugs*

Why won't they cathetise mum? Makes perfect sense.

Hospitals sometimes are such ghastly places to be.

x0x
Gill was saying through the night the Agency staff won't answer the buzzers. Apparently the night before there was a real row with all the buzzers going off and they ignored them all.
My Brother was in that ward just over 10 years ago and he said it was the same then during the night.
Not sure why they won't cathetise her they said they were going too then changed their minds for some reason.
She seems to think she will be home in about 5 days.
She has a shock coming I think.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 06:34 AM
Glad she is ok lynn BUT home in 5 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whose home is she going to!!!!!!?

lots of love

Jeanette.

Cant we put these old folks together for a while so we can all dissapear
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-09-2008, 06:43 AM
Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
Glad she is ok lynn BUT home in 5 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whose home is she going to!!!!!!?

lots of love

Jeanette.

Cant we put these old folks together for a while so we can all dissapear
Well not here or Gills or my Brother in Basildon because we all have stairs and at home she has to have a stair lift.
So it would be my eldest Brother in Norfolk with the bungalow, but he has said he cannot nurse her this time so she has to be able to manage her toileting on her own and getting in and out of bed, if not she will have to go to a rehabilitation or nursing home till she is able to manage on her own, if she does go home she will have to have care in.
Good idea about putting them all together.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Lynn please do not even let them consider her going to you otherwise you will be the next one in hospital. Keep in the background and make the others take their turn. I know it sounds mean but you have done everything you can with very little thanks either.
Just hope that your mum gets better soon but is then sent to a Nursing Home where she will be properly looked after.
I think it is a disgrace that old people are left wanting bedpans and forced to soil/wet themselves, what price dignity eh? I feel really sorry for her to be honest, tea all over her and the bed as well, it is patently obvious she is not able to do things for herself at the moment and someone needs a rocket up their posterior in my opinion.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Lynn please do not even let them consider her going to you otherwise you will be the next one in hospital. Keep in the background and make the others take their turn. I know it sounds mean but you have done everything you can with very little thanks either.
Just hope that your mum gets better soon but is then sent to a Nursing Home where she will be properly looked after.
I think it is a disgrace that old people are left wanting bedpans and forced to soil/wet themselves, what price dignity eh? I feel really sorry for her to be honest, tea all over her and the bed as well, it is patently obvious she is not able to do things for herself at the moment and someone needs a rocket up their posterior in my opinion.
No worries I can't have her and Gorden would not be too happy about it even if we could.
She will have to go into nursing care to get better or have long term care at her home.
I am quite proud of myself as I have taken a back seat this time, and not gone rushing about like all the times before.
It is disgraceful that they don't seem to want to look after the Patients during the night, I think during the day its ok, but as Gill said to her don't worry too much about it in the end they will get fed up keep having to change the sheets.
I am not getting into any more arguments with the Hospital about anything this time it made me really ill before arguing with them and it got me absolutely nowhere so the others will have to deal with it this time around.
It does worry me that I am sounding a bit harsh this time around and have switched off almost over this episode.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Totally agree.

As for you worrying about 'switching off' - I'm sure your mind is doing this to protect yourself - 'it knows that you can't cope with much more, even though you want to.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >