Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2005, 07:17 PM

Birds in the Garden and Chloe (lab)

Hey,

I took my two conures into the garden today as it was such a nice day. I thought i'd post up some pictures cos they were very cute!

Here's a couple of them together.

Molly waving

Mac yawning

And here's a couple of Molly. As you can see, she's got some feather problems. She's had this since October when her 'mate' my African Grey died. We got Mac as company for her though and she seems to be improving a lot!

Here she is posing with a piece of strawberry!lol

And here's a couple of Mac

Scratching...

Sleeping... lol

And Chloe my Lab was outside with the birdies today so i got a couple of pics of her! Her leg is doing a lot better after her operation, she's just bored now i think!lol

Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-04-2005, 07:18 PM
great pics Jessica
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-04-2005, 07:22 PM
Great pictures Jessica
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2005, 07:31 PM
wow, those are great pics of your birds!...I love them all...

I might sound a bit daft here, but how come they don't fly away
RobK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Geat Pics Jessica!!
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2005, 07:34 PM
They are gorgeous, are they green cheeked conures? I have an african grey who feather plucked after his cockatiel friend died. Mine love to go outside as well.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Thanks everyone

Myschievous - Mac doesn't fly away as his wings are clipped. He's a rescue bird who i will be taking to the shows the rescue puts on so for safety reasons they have to clip him. Im not entirely keen on wing clipping though so Molly (who is my own bird) isn't clipped. She will fly to me when i call her though so although she can fly perfectly well, she wont fly away

Het - Yes, they are Green Cheeks Molly hasn't actually plucked her feathers but she has chewed them from overpreening so that there's only little stumps of feather left!! I've tried everything with her from changing her diet, giving her attention literally 24/7, buying her hundreds of pounds worth of toys etc etc.. But none of it worked. Finally the vet suggested that a mate could be the only thing to help her. She hates my cockatoo so i thought i'd get something smaller which is how we ended up with Mac!! They get on really well and Molly's doing alot better! How did you manage to get your Grey to stop plucking? Feather plucking and chewing is so frustrating isn't it?
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2005, 08:21 PM
Hiya Jessica, I got another Grey!! and a Yellow Crowned Amazon. Hes stopped plucking his feathers but I started plucking mine!!!!

No seriously they are great fun aren't they. What kind of cockatoo do you have? I have heard they are the most demanding of the parrots, is that so?

Unfortunately my Amazon died about a year and a half ago, the vet thinks he had a stroke. I was very upset as he was my baby. One of my neighbours breeds Sun Conures, absolutely beautiful, but sooo noisy.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2005, 08:38 PM
I think birds do need company from their own kind sometimes!! Molly loves being with me and she's on my shoulder all day, but it was at night she was chewing her feathers and now she has Mac to keep her company she's doing great!

I have a Galah Cockatoo which is another rescue. He came to me badly plucked and was literally bald on his chest!! All he needed was a decent diet and some love and attention to sort him out and he's much better now, though his feathers will never grow back completely.
Cockatoos are probably the most demanding parrots. They're certainly the most likely to have behavioural problems like plucking, screaming and biting! Galah's aren't known for being quite as demanding as other 'toos but he certainly wont be ignored!lol A lot of people seem to buy Umbrella Cockatoos because they look cute and they're often good talkers, but then they start plucking and stuff... They dont make ideal pets unless you can dedicate a LOT of time to them!!

Im sorry to hear about your Amazon I was the same with my grey. She was 'my' bird and I was heartbroken when she died I've only recently started looking for another bird but there's no way i could have another grey! Will you get another bird?

Sun Conures are stunning aren't they!? I'd love one but wow... SOOO noisy!!lol
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2005, 08:48 PM
hmm not sure about another one. Our local pet shop has started selling hand reared babies, they had some Blue Crowned Conures and i was very tempted, they were so lovely. my Mum has a Hahns Macaw which is a lovely bird. I like the blue and Gold Macaws but they are such a big commitment, more like having a child I expect. My greys keep each other amused,but they are still fairly demanding.
I know what you're saying about the cockatoos, they have such beautiful soft feathers and are so appealing, I don't think people realise what a commitment a parrot can be, do they.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >