Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2008, 09:35 AM

Saddest post ever

Dear All,

As most of you know we took on a rescue Welshie a little while ago. He had been very badly abused and came to us with some aggression issues because of this. Although there were ups and downs we made him a very happy chappy who loved us lots. Unfortunately though the other night he turned on my husband. It was a very vicious and totally unprovoked attack. we went over and over it trying to come up with any excuse for it and came up empty. After a lot of talking and soul searching with each other, the rescue organisation, our trainer/behaviourist and family and friends, who all agreed with us, we made the unbelievably painful decision to have him put to sleep. It is officially the hardest thing i have ever had to do in my life. We know we did our absolute best with him but he was too damaged. I would never ever have forgiven myself if he had done that to someone else and heaven forbid a child. We had to protect him and let him have a life where there are no muzzles and nothing he has to defend himself against.
Saying goodbye to him was awful but it was quick and totally painless and he fell asleep nuzzling in my arms knowing that he was totally loved. He had loved jumping in the car and thought we were going on a big adventure - which i guess he was, i just wish it could have been one with us. I carried him home in my arms and the funniest thing, all the dogs came running out to greet us like they normally do but instead of the normal being all over us they stopped about 2 metres away from me and sat there watching me tuck his favourite toy between his legs and bury him at the bottom of the garden. I have seen each one of them sitting quietly down there since.

I have to be honest and say my husband and i are in absolute pieces. The house feels so empty and i would give almost anything to hear the patter of his paws again or see him poking his cute fuzzy face round the door one last time.

Anyway, just thought i should update you all.
Thanks for all the help and support you have given me.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2008, 09:42 AM
I am so sorry for you both.I am sure you did your best and at the end of the day you gave him some good times at the end of his obviously very unhappy life.He ended it knowing he was loved and in the arms of someone who cared...well done.I am sure he will be waiting at rainbow bridge for you ,tail wagging.
Run free little one
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2008, 09:42 AM
I feel for you and am sat in tears here.

So sorry you had to make such a hard decision

Run free young man enjoy your big adventure
x
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2008, 09:44 AM
I am so sorry, you must be broken hearted.

He knew he was loved

Run free sweetheart xx
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Poor you, you had no choice though.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Vicky, what can I say, I am so so sorry. I know how you must be feeling, I am sat here in tears myself.
It had to be done, you couldn't chance what might happen.
We are hear for you.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2008, 09:49 AM
This has post has reduced me to tears! I am so sorry, and I can hear your sadness in your post xxx massive hugs to you both xx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-09-2008, 09:53 AM
So very sorry to hear of this. You made the best and wisest decision ever, but it was also the hardest.
Run free little man.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm in tears too.

It's hardest when they are loving most of the time, partly because you bond with them is so much stronger and partly because, as you say, you just don't know what will make them 'flip'.

But you did the right thing and I hope the fact that you know he experienced love with you (probably for the first time in his life) and went peacefully in your arms, will ease some of the pain.

(((hugs))) to you all.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2008, 09:57 AM
so sorry to hear this,
hugs
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >