Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-09-2008, 08:03 PM

Question for a friend in Essex

I have my best friend staying here at present and she has fallen in love with my rescue dogs. Since she is on her own in the UK she would love to get another dog and has decided on a rescue dog as mine are so loyal and loving.

The problem is she lives in an upstairs maisonette and knows that a lot of the rescue centres will not entertain somewhere without a garden. She has her own business and can take a small dog to work with her so it would not be left on its own all day.

The question is does anyone know of a rescue centre in Essex that will rehome a dog in these conditions? It does seem a shame that someone who would really look after a dog is penalised in this respect as she is looking for a forever dog.

Thanks.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 08:32 PM
She can try Battersea Dogs Home, I do know that they have had on their website before dogs that are suitable to live in flats.

I live in Essex and we picked our girl up from Battersea - in fact we were there today for the Annual Reunion - so it isn't that far to travel.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Some rescues will have out and out rules which they will not bend no matter what. Others are prepared to consider each case on its merits.

If I was your friend, I would think about all the questions which may arise. To my mind, the big ones to answer when you have no garden is :
What are you going to do if you dog get a contageous infection/disease - e.g. kennel cough. Does your friend have access to any non-public outside space (e.g. friends/family's gardens) if the dog needed to be 'quaranteened' for a couple of weeks or so?

How are you going to cope if the dog has a dodgey tummy and you can't just let them out in the garden?

What if you get a bitch and it turns out she isn't neutered (this happened to us - they thought our 2nd rescue girl was done, but she has come into season since we've had her)?

now, its not to say you can't get past these questions, but your friend will stand a better chance if she has thought this all through before she speaks to the rescue centre.

Wish her good luck from me, I definitely agree that rescues make very loyal dogs
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 08:48 PM
My last rescue was from the blue cross and they were happy to home to us even though we had a one bedroomed flat with no garden. The RSPCA refused us a dog but the Blue Cross really looked at our individual circumstances and offered us the choice from two dogs they thought would be suitable for us.

We got a ten year old fox hound cross who we had for another ten years after that and he was wonderful!

Good luck in their search!
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2008, 10:00 PM
hiya im in sEssex and we were turned down from about 7 rescues in essex and just outside as we didnt have a garden, i dont work so it wouldnt be alone.

good luck to your friend x
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks for your replies. I will discuss further with her. We have already discussed about infectious diseases and as she says she has a good sized verandah which she would make sure is completely dog safe so really no problems as it is only a small dog she is looking for as she could not cope with a large dog due to the fact she broke her hip a few years ago and this has left her with a bad limp. On saying that though she has come with me and my dogs walking plus she walks to work and that is about a 20 minute walk so the dog would get enough exercise four or five times a day.

I know for a fact she could have a rescue dog from here as there are so many of them and most Brits have at least one animal that has been rescued, some even more like myself as I have three and they are not as fussy providing the dog is being given a forever home where it will be looked after with love. My friend said mine are like my babies and it is nice to have someone there for you with undying love even if you are in a grouchy mood and feel like you want to be alone, dogs know and soon get you out of the mood. Well at least mine do because Keo will always do something really stupid and make me laugh.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Not sure where your Friend is in Essex but there is a rescue centre in Bishops Storford and another in Hallingbury, not sure whether they would rehome without a garden though..
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2008, 10:00 AM
She lives in Romford and does not have transport so relying on public transport.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 10:36 AM
from Romford to Battersea she could get an overground train, but would have to change trains either at Stratford or Victoria. National Rail have a route planner, if she googles them, she can put in her travel details and they come up with the best route.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by CandyKooKoo View Post
She lives in Romford and does not have transport so relying on public transport.
Quite difficult to get to those rehoming centres then.
Good luck with her quest.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >