Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 05:17 PM

Nice to see the vets care

Just found a massive lump/open wound on my rabbit, I think it's a mamory tumour....
Phoned the nearest vet, as I know they have evening surgery on a Sunday (costs £30 to see the vet, but still...)
Anyway, she asked the problem, and I told her, and she said yes, it sounds like an emergency.
She asked if I was registered there, I said no.......she said are you registered elsewhere, I said yes, but not for this animal.
She said they won't see me, as I am registered somewhere else!
She said it's like a GP, you can't just go where you want when you need it!

I know my vets have 24 hours, but to be honest, I can't afford £90 just to see the vet on top of treatment/pts

So now it looks as though I have to wait till tomorrow and try another vet....this time I won't be telling them I am registered somewhere else
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 05:27 PM
It is not like the NHS. It is private practice & you are paying so can go anywhere you like-that is disgraceful. My vets had no problem taking bloods from my friends dogs for DNA testing.

Neither does the vet who does my X rays for Hip & Elbow scoring, she knows my local vets know that I use her for health testing !

I would report the vet to the RCVS
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Its sad but I can see things happening more and more as vets, like have been said are private so will be always wanting to cover themselfs regards legal action should something go wrong and with todays "where theres blame, theres a claim" society.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Im sitting here crying
The reason I didn't notice it earlier is that she isn't a 'pick me up and cuddle me' rabbit, unlike her boyfriend.
She likes to be stroked on the floor, so I don't pick her up often as it stresses her out.
I noticed her nails needed clipping, so I got her out to do them, and noticed this lump
She is ok in herself (eating/drinking), but she MUST be in pain, and I feel so awful
No other vets in the area are open this late, and I couldn't have done it earlier as I only got home from work at 5:45

I pretty much know she'll have to be PTS, and can't believe they won't even do that for her
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 05:31 PM
That is awful We are registered with 3 vets, all different animals admittedly, but still different... I hope your bunny is okay
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
It is not like the NHS. It is private practice & you are paying so can go anywhere you like-that is disgraceful. My vets had no problem taking bloods from my friends dogs for DNA testing.

Neither does the vet who does my X rays for Hip & Elbow scoring, she knows my local vets know that I use her for health testing !

I would report the vet to the RCVS
thats how I always understood it to be too

Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
That is awful We are registered with 3 vets, all different animals admittedly, but still different... I hope your bunny is okay
Dito, I have my dogs and cat at one vet and the horses with another,

hugs hun hope you get things sorted out soon, fwiw,, I think you have been treated very badly,
is there another vet in the area you could try?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Have tried all vets, thats the only one that opens on a Sat evening, the others do callouts, but it's so expensive
Theres one that opens at 9am tomorrow, so will see if I can get an appt there, if not....it's Monday morning
Have put her back in the hutch with her boyfriend for now
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2008, 06:30 PM
She said it's like a GP, you can't just go where you want when you need it!......

Thats not true. I had Tonsilitus and was not near my Drs so popped in to a local one and saw one there and then.

I think it is up the them tbh...depedant if they wanna play ball.

I totally understand about the money versus care thing. My bunny was ill and i gave him calpol (SP) as i knew it was low dosage. I only gave him 1/4 t spoon.

I am sure the bunny will be ok until monday.....

hugs. x
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2008, 06:33 PM
I was advised to give my piggie a low dosage of calpol (0.3ml) when she had her throat abscess drained, it took the edge of the pain............
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
I was advised to give my piggie a low dosage of calpol (0.3ml) when she had her throat abscess drained, it took the edge of the pain............
ooo i am so glad u said that...i have always wondered if it was the right thing to do...i mean he lived lol, but i did worry.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >