Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lolarin
New Member!
Female 

05-09-2008, 11:07 PM

Scratching when I leave home

Hello all!

I'm a new member to Dogsey and it's great to read the experiences from you all.
When we leave home we leave our 7-month Giant Schnauzer (Lola) in the kitchen (pretty big space). As soon as we leave (it doesn't matter if it's 5 min or 1 hour), she begins scratching so hard the door that we have found blood in the floor though it seems she's not hurt at all.
We left her once around the house but she did really a mess everywhere so now that's not an option.
We've tried to ignore it but I'm afraid she gets truly hurt.
Can someone help me please?
Any training suggestions for her to stop doing this.
Thanks!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Hello Martha and welcome to Dogsey .
Dogs are very social animals, they are born into a litter then move on to become part of a family and it is natural for them to dislike being parted from 'their family'. Some cope better with separation than others, I think this depends partly on their disposition and also how they have been taught to cope with separation from being small puppies.

There are things you can do which may help Lola, the first thing is desensitizing her to being left alone.

What you want to achieve is to teach Lola..
..your not being there is no big deal,
..when you leave you will always return,
..when you are with her she will not automatically get your attention all the time,
..she will get attention when you are ready to give it ,(so she doesn't become dependant on getting attention on demand) ,

You can only do this slowly and it may take some time to have an effect.
First take Lola out to relieve herself, (so you know she does not 'need to go') then using the room which contains her bed go out of the room ignoring her and close the door (the bed should be comfortable with a toy and something you have worn like socks or a tee shirt).
..after just a moment return to the room and do something like going in the cupboards ignoring Lola, no word no eye contact,
...go in and out of the room a few times always shutting the door and ignoring Lola both when you leave the room and return. If she is whining wait for a pause and go back in when she is quiet so you are not rewarding her crying with your appearance.
...eventually go back in the room and perform some task or sit with a book still ignoring Lola, remember no word no eye contact,
...when she is calm and not bothering you speak to her and give lots of praise,
...you need to do this exercise a number of times each day, vary the length of time you stay out of the room and gradually increase it. Progress to leaving the house for a few moments following the same ignore/no fuss routine.

Also try leaving the radio on with a voice program, this will mask the sound of your movements and be comforting to Lola.

If you have not already done so get an interesting toy to occupy Lola like a kong or one of the puzzle balls with small holes that allow treats to fall through.

Lola is still very young and hopefully things should improve as she matures and grows in confidence.

artemis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Hi
Dont know if this will work for you but I have a stair gate in the kitchen doorway which allows my dogs not to feel too boxed in. The two terriers are left in the kitchen and Milo the greyhound in the hall. Know if I shut the door Perry the terrier would scratch the door! Just because he can! He does not suffer with separation anxiety, just objects to the door being shut!
Lolarin
New Member!
Female 

07-09-2008, 02:03 AM
Thanks Minihaha and Artemis!!
We'll begin with your tips and see how she does.
I guess she'll finally get used to not getting all the attention all the time.
I'll keep you posted.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2008, 06:45 AM
Hope things work out for you. Great advice given. Good luck x0x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-09-2008, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by Lolarin View Post
Thanks Minihaha and Artemis!!
We'll begin with your tips and see how she does.
I guess she'll finally get used to not getting all the attention all the time.
I'll keep you posted.
Hi Martha by giving Lola attention all the time you are conditioning her to expect attention all the time which will make the times when you are away harder for her to cope with.
Dogs need 'quiet times' times when they go to their beds or just play alone with a chew toy. After exercise a walk and a play is a good time for this .
henry06
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2008, 07:17 PM
I did what Artimis does and have a baby gate so that the door can be left open. Since this henry has not scratched at all. He has made a hole in the plaster by the side of the door where he scraped this but since the gate no scratching and yiu walk in to find him in his bed or stretched out looking through the bars!