Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2008, 01:23 PM

Frozen chicken chunks from pet shop

Fred's off his food due to Mya being in season, I'm worried coz he's not eating and he can't afford to lose anymore weight. I've got him a supply of frozen chicken chunks from the pet shop that should hopefully fit in the freezer. The feeding guidelines say 400gm per day for a medium dog which I think Fred is at 26kg does that sound right?
From what I've read if I was feeding him raw properly bones etc this would be more like 800gm a day?
Help and sorry if I sound thick
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2008, 02:53 PM
I feed raw and I give 2% of my dog's body weight per day. My dog is 8kg so it works out at about 220g a day. But that's not just meat, it's also organs and bone.

I think if it was just meat it would be 200g.

HTH
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2008, 02:59 PM
400-500g a day sounds about all right
But as I guess this is just a temp measure to get him to eat something and you are not thinking of going raw then just give him what he will eat and dont worry about it

(watch out tho, might get the trots on a food switch)
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks both, I'm just worried about him losing weight so need to make sure he's eating. I don't have enough freezer space which is the thing that is stopping me trying raw properly at the moment, I've been looking at landywoods and prices are great, even for feeding 2 dogs.
I was told chicken was the best thing to try first when trying raw meet so I'll see how he goes. Mya will no doubt expect the same for tea tonight
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Here's a handy link to work out how much to feed your dog;
http://www.raw4dogs.com/calculate.htm
Since you are worried about him loosing weight I'd aim for 3% of his body weight.

Are you feeding the meat alone? I would expect there to be loose stools if you do. If it's bone in it should be fine.

Personally I find it cheaper to by frozen chicken portions at the supermarket than at the pet store.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2008, 03:25 PM
thanks for the advice, I don't want squitty bums
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2008, 07:15 PM
It would be cheaper to get something like a whole frozen chicken or a bag of chicken pieces from the supermarket (and you know there's not anything strange been added to it, apart from water possibly).

Hope your boy starts eating soon. My step-dad's bedlington is 'intact' and is always going off his food when there's an inseason bitch around. Luckily mine are both done so we don't have that problem. A doesn't eat if it's thundery and Bryan doesn't eat maybe once every two weeks - not for any particular reason. He's just like that
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2008, 07:35 AM
He had his tea and half of his brekkie this morning so that's an improvement, fingers crossed he keeps it up