Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 02:52 PM

has anybody had an ECG?

I am having one in the morning for palpitations and really worried. I have no idea what happens and what they do....

They think its anxiety related but the worry is making it worse

Anybody got any experience?

Mel x
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by melsgems View Post
I am having one in the morning for palpitations and really worried. I have no idea what happens and what they do....

They think its anxiety related but the worry is making it worse

Anybody got any experience?

Mel x
Hi Mel,

Nothing to worry about. I've had a couple of ECG's. For mine they've been carried out whilst I was on a treadmill. Just a few wires connected up to monitor your heart. Hope all goes well, take care xx
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 03:05 PM
For palpitations I would think it would be a 12 lead ECG - leads attached by sticky pads to you on chest, arms and legs to getting a recording of your heart beat, they can pick up whether your heart is beating too fast, slow, normal or if it is an irregular rhythm.
It is painless and should only take 5-10 mins.
Good luck xx
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Had loads, pain free no problem at all. Just a few suckers attached to a monitor, you just lie there and relax. Best of luck. Hope the Doc isnt too dishy, otherwise your palpitations might get worse!!
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Had loads, pain free no problem at all. Just a few suckers attached to a monitor, you just lie there and relax. Best of luck. Hope the Doc isnt too dishy, otherwise your palpitations might get worse!!
lol not thought of that although not yet seen a dishy Doctor mine are all old and wrinkly
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 03:14 PM
I've had a few ECGs - I had an allergic reaction to an intra-venous, anti-emetic and my heart rate went up to 170 something. For about a year after my resting heart rate was over 100 (I was in bed most of this time) so they kept testing my heart to make sure it was ok.

The worst thing about it is having to get your boobs out and pulling the sticky pads off afterwards (sometimes days afterwards if you miss one
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 03:31 PM
I had one last week at the surgery.

I had to be naked to the waist, take of your watch etc and they attached little pads to various places on my chest and one on each ankle.
And I had to keep quiet for a few mins....... the hardest bit!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Had loads. If it's at the doc's then it will be a lying down one, at rest. It's a bit more involved if it's at the hospital where you have to go on a treadmill until you're dripping with sweat and almost passing out so they can take readings off a big machine. Hope it goes ok, there is absolutely nothing to worry about, nothing, so don't get your heart racing over nothing otherwise it won't show them what they really need to see. Good luck.
Foo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2008, 04:52 PM
They are a doddle I had a heart attack in May and had a variety of pads attached to me whilst I was in hospital. If my heart rhythm changed a nurse would whizz in and ask me to lie still then go off and collate the results as simple as that.
DOWNSIDE... the horrible sticky glue is a ****** to remove aftre the pads are taken off lol.. but honestly its extremely painfree. Good luck
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2008, 06:14 PM
I think I've had an ECG, several pads stuck on you attaching you to a machine, but I also had, the best way I can describe it is like when you have a scan when your pregnant, and they can see your heart on the monitor, with me they had to see if there was any pressure being put on my heart, but it was a doddle, the only problem was the poor young trainee who doing the test (supervised) and when it came to having to move my boob out the way he didn't know quite what to do
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >