Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 08:01 PM

Sudden noise sensitivity?

Takara's always been a bit sensitive to loud noises so I've done a lot of desensitisation with her, dropping things near her and rewarding, taking her near loud things and rewarding etc.

She's now pretty bomb proof when out (certain very rare sounds upset her but she's pretty good) but only recently, in the last few days she's become really noise sensitive in the house.

It started when we were sat in the lounge, someone shut a cupboard door in the kitchen without holding the handle (not a loud bang at all and something she hears all the time) and Takara shot behind the tv.

Next time was a day later a truck unloaded something across the road - again, something she's heard a lot recently due to building works going on, and it doesn't usually bother her. If it does, she barks at the noise. This time, she decided under the coffee table was the safest place to be (despite the lack of space for a dally) nearly sending my drink flying.

Today, a few days after these last incidents, my mum snapped a couple of disposabe pizza trays (you know the ones they come on) to put them in the bin and Takara shot out the door, to the top of the garden.

Now mum did exactly what I didn't want her to do and went out to give Takara a cuddle so I got the pizza trays out of the bin and got a load of treats to start desensitising her, but even at the very slightest bend of the tray - before they even snapped and made a noise - Takara shot to the end of the hall and refused any food.

This seems to have come on all of a sudden and seems very strange considering her behaviour has been damn near perfect in every other way.

Any advice? Is it just a case of going back to desensitisation or do you think I should get her checked out - this degree of noise sensitivity is very out of character for her.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 09:03 PM
A little update.. could this be due to an ear infection? I've just cleaned her ears out properly with drops and they were really quite bad (it's not that long since I last did them).
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi Lottie,

I would go get her checked out, it sounds as though her ears might be a bit sensitive at moment, possibly due to infection. Hope she is ok, take care
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks,

She's always had trouble with her ears and I think you may be right... Strange thing is, she's not reacted to having her ears touched at all recently which she usually does if they're sore or she has an infection...

Perhaps I've trained her too well
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Keep us informed how she is, hope she is ok!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks Iain, will do