Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
keziah
New Member!
Female 

12-04-2005, 05:13 PM

Unusual bleeding on the beach

The last 3 times we've taken our Ridgeback to the beach she has suddenly started bleeding on the top of her head (2 places) and round her neck. There are no obvious signs of injury, and the bleeding isn't near her collar. She isn't bothered at all & doesn't yelp or flinch when touched. The bleeding stops & is gone by the time we get home.

All she does on the beach is run up and down, & drink the seawater. She doesn't dig, or roll. (We have to go by car to the beach & she rarely goes in the car for any other reason).

Took her to the vet this morning to check her out & the vet has no idea what is doing this either- says there is no sign of any injury or illness.

We're baffled- any ideas?
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Have no idea what the cause might be, drinking sea water will probably make her vomit, are there any cuts of any sort to allow for bleeding?
keziah
New Member!
Female 

12-04-2005, 09:47 PM
No cuts that we can see- nothing obvious- just a dog that looks like it has dipped its head in a body....

It doesn't happen anywhere else.

(We've tried to dissuade her from drinking the sea but no luck there!)
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-04-2005, 09:53 AM
Seawater will certainly come back up sooner rather than later. Been surfing recently and it's amazing how much water can get in yer sinuses, but that's a different story...

Do you go to the same bit of the same beach all the time? Try going to a different spot or a different beach to eliminate environmental factors. :smt101 Although from what you said, it doesn't sound like barb wire hidden in the sand or anything...
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Have you examined for bleeding her when she first gets out of the car?

Does she go out of your sight at any time at all on the beach?

Have the three incidences been on consecutive days?

Are there any fences/barriers which she might attempt to go through?

If there is no sign of a cut, graze, etc. could she be finding dead wildlife anywhere?

If there are no cuts, scratches, spots, on your dog then it is obviously not her blood

The mystery deepens

PS - Drinking seawater is not a good idea
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Hi there you don't say how much bleeding..is it a spec or a lot?
My only thought if the area is small is an insect bite..the ones that suck blood like 'old maids' or gad fly that bite and leave no mark only a tiny bleeding bit you get them in cattle and I have seen similar fly things on beaches in large groups
keziah
New Member!
Female 

13-04-2005, 04:46 PM
We hadn't checked her before she got out of the car but it was so obvious i'm sure we'd have noticed.

We never let her out of our sight (call her back when she runs off) because she's nervous of people. It's one of those open flat beaches where you can see for miles and miles.

The three incidences were weeks apart, & on different days of the week.

No fences/barriers, but there is a small area of dunes with long grass.

I've not noticed any dead wildlife but that's what it looks like!

(I know drinking seawater is not a good idea- gives her the squits!)

The midge/fly suggestion is something I hadn't considered- I wonder if that is what it is? There are mud flats where these sorts of creatures breed.