Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2008, 06:36 PM

Cycling with dog...

Hi!

I am considering starting taking Hamish along with me on a cycle - I have seen quite a few people either holding lead/leaving dog off lead. I would rather not do either of these as I wouldn't feel totally safe.

I have seen an attachment thing for a lead and I was wondering if anyone uses these and if they are any good? Hamish can occasionnally be a bit of a rubbish monster and i'd worry that he'd pull me over if he saw a tasty bit of junk!

Any tips on introducing him to running alongside the bike would also be helpful. I plan to start him with very short distances and build it up over time - being a springer spaniel he does have heaps of energy and think this would be good to vary the types of exercise he gets...so long as I don't end up fleeing over the handlebars!

Thanks!

Deedee xx
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 09:07 PM
I've cycled a couple of times with mine but i've only tried it down a canal towpath with them off lead. For me, off lead is preferable as Flynn pulls like a train and can run faster than I can cycle so i'd be afraid that, even attached to one of those rigid bars, he'd pull me off balance.

I just threw mine in at the deep end one day as i'd walked a fair old way with them to my mum's, couldnt be bothered to walk back so nicked my mum's bike.

Generally, they stayed out of the way of the bike but there was a few occassions whereby they'd get a whiff of something and just dash in front of me or stop!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Ok as far as I know there are 3 different types of attachments you can buy, but I can only remember 2!

The first (and the one I use) is called a Springer. Pretty good from what I've experienced, Isla hasn't pulled me off my Bike and it seems to absorb pulling very well. They're not cheap, but if you look on ebay you may be able to grab a bargain - I did.

The second is called Walkydog.

Will try and find the 3rd one for you!
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 09:35 PM
I use the side mounted springer decice to run my huskies in a tracking harness, best not to attach lead to collar. i also run them at the front of the bike in x-back harness's, i have an antenna that holds lines off wheel for front of bike running. If you run the dog on the springer device at side, best to have the leash short enough that the dog cannot pass the front wheel when running, to be level or just behind wheel area. also best to only run on softer surfaces for joints. I wouldn't hold a leash in my hands when cycling as a dog can change direction or get a destraction so quickly & have you in an accident & on the floor, also best to wear a melmet when running a dog like this too.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 09:56 PM
I personally hated the springer and gave up on it. If cycling now we tend to use an x-back harness with the dog out in front or if they are recovering from illness/injury then we run them at the side (I prefer the scooter so it is normally my OH who has the bike ).
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 09:53 AM
I recall seeing a few threads on the springer bike attachment on here last year. Perhaps do a search for "springer" and "bike" will bring them up.

I would also say using a harness instead of collar is best and be careful of too much running for the dogs on hard ground. Build up their exercise slowly.
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2008, 11:09 AM
I cycle with Spike. I used a Halti training lead tied round my waist and got him used to walking alongside while I pushed the bike first (I wasn't on the bike at this point). Then I moved on to me being on the bike but just pushing along slowly with my feet, not peddling. Then peddling slowly.... now we can go along normally and he LOVES it!!

Good luck and let us know how you get on!