Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 06:12 PM

Possible Ear Infection

I went round to my Mums the other day (Thursday or Friday) and noticed Kingsley was shaking his head a lot.
Yesterday (Saturday) he was shaking his head more, so she phoned her vets and made an appointment for that afternoon.

She phoned after she had been, and quite annoyed.
She took him in, and the vet (a young lady) looked at the outside of his ear, remarked it looked sore, and prescribed some drops.

Mum asked if she was going to look in his ear, as we think it may be an infection.
The vet said no, as he is wriggling too much!!! If the drops don't work, she will put him under GA to look!!

My Mum told me this and I was mortified. My Mum held Kingsley, and yes, he is a wiggler, but he is also elderly, and going blind, so gets a bit scared when something happens he doesn't know about.
She could have easily muzzled him and got a nurse to help hold him.

I've just been round and had to muzzle him myself to put the drops in, as he is getting distressed because his ears are itching/hurting so much.

Mum is going to give it a few days, then go to the vets I use, as she is so mad at her vets.

Poor Kingsley
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Poor Kingsley! She sounds like one of those fresh out of college vets doesn't she, I've had those in the past! When I've taken old Georgie for his terrible, painful ears the last couple of times, my vet (a proper surgical vet!) knows he hurts, she knows he's going to make a fuss, yet she insists she HAS to look deep in there with her instrument, even though I ask her if she really has to coz it hurts him so much! She has never, ever said she wants him knocked out to do it either, even though he wriggles and screams the place down, with me holding on tight to his head we manage to do it every time!

I've found in the past, no matter how bad the infection was in his ear, at least those drops do give them some sort of relief and they're ab drops probably so will help, and hopefully, the next time, when you go to YOUR vets, they can have a good look in there when it's calmed down slightly, hopefully anyway.

All the best, these ear infections can be pretty awful for them, I've seen Georgie's little face all screwed up in pain, and he even went in the shower to lie down coz the cool base must have relieved it for him somewhat - and there I was thinking he wasn't intelligent! I hope she gave you some painkillers too for poor KIngsley? I do hope it gets better with his drops anyway, sometimes they work wonders, sometimes they don't.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 07:36 PM
All she gave him were some drops, I can't remember the name of, but I think it's op......I don't know!
Poor little thing
They have made all his fur on his face greasy anyway!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Georgie has Aurizon and they give him instant relief, I can see the pain disappearing from his little face when I've put them in and massaged them. Plus I keep them in the fridge so they're nice and cold coz of course, with the pain, the ears inside are hot and inflamed too. Yes, I get the greasy, mucky fur on Georgie, but I'm pleased with that coz it's bringing out all the gunk! I do hope he's not in too much pain, she really should have given him some kind of pain relief with the drops, poor boy.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Certainly he should have an examination....the infection could be secondary to a foreign body. Its a bit early but grass seed is possible. Hope he gets sorted quickly, as ear infections can be minor and more serious on occasion - so caution is advised.

Hope he gets better soon
Mary
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
Certainly he should have an examination....the infection could be secondary to a foreign body. Its a bit early but grass seed is possible. Hope he gets sorted quickly, as ear infections can be minor and more serious on occasion - so caution is advised.

Hope he gets better soon
Mary
Was gonna say a grass seed also they are extremly painful, we use surlon drop's for Harvey as he suffer's with his earole's.
Hope he feel's better soon.
Toni xx
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 08:31 PM
oh bless really hope the drops work and he starts to feel better. xx hugs to him xxxx
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 11:18 PM
my vet sent Libby home with Rymadal for the pain and the inflamation so her could get close next appointment.
Dont rate the vet ast all tbh, I'd change specially with an older dog shouldnt have to be in pain
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Mum managed to get the drops in ok this morning
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Poor Kingsley. Sorry to hear that his ears are a bit off and hope his ears are a bit better today with the drops, glad your mum got them in today.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >