Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2008, 08:33 AM

Tips for first show

Hi,

Cassidy (Airedale Terrier aged 7 months, see the "critique my dog" thread) & I have our first show on Monday. She's a real leggy lady at the moment so I doubt we will do much but it's more for the experience than anything else. We've been going to ringcraft regularly and she's a born show off, so I think she'll enjoy her morning out.

A few questions though...

It's a local canine society open show (Marlborough). What tackle am I likely to need to take - grooming table, chair, etc? Or do you just have to find somewhere for a quick brush over? Airedales require quite a lot of preparation and she does behave on the table, not so much off it.

What kind of clothes should I wear, ie how smart? I don't want to look out of place for either being too smart or too casual. Are any colours considered bad luck/superstitious?

Do you get directions on when to go to your ring, or do you have to keep an eye on the catalogue and hover nearby?

I haven't got a special clip thing for the number card thing, presume for now I'll need to remember a safety pin!

Any other tips/advice gratefully received! Thanks.

K x
mcgregorkh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Hi, I don't know what equipment you will require for grooming etc as I don't have airedales.

It is better to look smart, I always wear at least a jacket at open shows. It is better to wear a colour that shows off your dog and doesn't interfere with it's outline. I.E most dobe people don't wear black trousers or jackets.

You have to find your own way to the ring and hover, it is usually better to find it first and check the order of judging.

You don't need a special clip but you can pick them up at shows for about 50p.

I would say get to the show in plenty of time to make sure your more relaxed and your dog has time to soak up the atmosphere (and hopefully poo before going in the ring). Go and enjoy yourself and let her show herself off!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

30-04-2008, 11:09 AM
I know one Lady who shows airedales and she takes her grooming table to all the shows, but as I don't own that breed I can't really say whether you would def need to do this.

Clothes something smart and with colours that show off you dog to the best advantage . Wear comfy shoes and above all just relax and enjoy.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2008, 11:20 AM
I think most airedale owners would take a table but it's up to you, if you can prepare her on the floor it's less to haul about but if you don't mind then it would be easier and more useful, as it's 'only' an open show, at a champ show then yes, take your table as you want to make that extra bit of effort.

Hover by your ring when your class is coming up, you will get used to it, I know I always used to fret about missing my class and never budge from the ringside all day 'til I was done!

A safety pin will be fine, some people don't even have that!

For an open show go for something smart but casual if you know what I mean. i always used to wear a black suit because I felt comfortable in it but not many dress up for open shows. Just make sure it isn't the same colour as your dog. Comfy flat shoes are a must, shoes you can move well in when you move your dog.

Think that's about it, most of all relax and enjoy your day! Best of luck, let us know how you get on!
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Can't really help clothes wise GSD people are different from other breeds I find, but get there early so you know exactly where your ring is & then find the loo,so you are not needing it when you are due in the ring. Good luck & try & stay nice & calm as your feelings will pass down the lead.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Good luck!!

Fingers crossed for you!!!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Only tip I will give you is to enjoy and make sure the pup does too.
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Thanks all for the advise and good wishes. Will let you know how it goes.

She had a good session on the grooming table last night, will have another go today. Amazing how much hair you can strip out of her!!
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Well we went to our show today (Marlborough & District Canine Society). Cassidy loved the atmosphere. We arrived quite early so had qite a bit of hanging around before we went in the ring, but it was fun watching and we bumped into quite a few people we knew from our ringcraft classes.

We had a class of 5 for AV NSC terrier puppy. We got a first! We then got a 2nd in terrier puppy!! I was so proud of her as she did so well, moving really well and standing pretty well. She tends to get bored quite quickly, but at 7 months old I think that's acceptable!

mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2008, 08:53 PM
lovely pictures - especially the one of her moving! very well done to you both!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >