Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2008, 01:36 PM

text speak help

I hope this is in the right place. I am feeling rather daft as I can't figure out what some of the abbrieviations mean . I know there is a thread on what dog abbrivieations mean but I was wondeing if it was possible to have a thread for people like me who can't work out what is best described as text speak . I would love to know what they are I have worked out some but I am stuck with others. I can't find the ones I am stuck with at the moment but below are some of the ones I have found around. I have also written what I think they mean next to them but any help would be gratefully recieved. If anyone can think of any other please add them. How ever obvious they might seem. Sorry if this in in the wrong place or has already been done

tbh- to be honest
imo-
imho-
lol-
pts- put to sleep
jmo-
hth-
dda- dangerous dogs act

Thank for any help.

Ndidi
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 01:40 PM
see mine in blue in your quote below

Originally Posted by ndidi View Post
I hope this is in the right place. I am feeling rather daft as I can't figure out what some of the abbrieviations mean . I know there is a thread on what dog abbrivieations mean but I was wondeing if it was possible to have a thread for people like me who can't work out what is best described as text speak . I would love to know what they are I have worked out some but I am stuck with others. I can't find the ones I am stuck with at the moment but below are some of the ones I have found around. I have also written what I think they mean next to them but any help would be gratefully recieved. If anyone can think of any other please add them. How ever obvious they might seem. Sorry if this in in the wrong place or has already been done

tbh- to be honest
imo- in my opinion
imho- in my honest opinion
lol- laughs out loud
pts- put to sleep
jmo- just my opinion
hth- hope that helps
dda- dangerous dogs act

Thank for any help.

Ndidi
hth
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 01:44 PM
We are not allowed to use text speak as some people like me and yourself can't understand all of it, I only learnt lately what HTH mean's.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Hello Ndidi you will see from reading section 9 of the Posting Guidelines (on the left hand side of the page) that text talk is not encouraged on the forums, so hopefully you won't see many abbreviations on Dogsey.
Posting Guidelines here...

http://www.dogsey.com/posting-guidelines.htm
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
We are not allowed to use text speak as some people like me and yourself can't understand all of it, I only learnt lately what HTH mean's.
I know what you mean Zb , It took me ages to work that one out , I had to ask my nephew who is only 14 xxxxxxxxxxxdk
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 04:08 PM
what does it mean
and this one too lmfao
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
what does it mean
and this one too lmfao

lmao means, laughing my **** off, I'll leave the f to your imagination
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hello Ndidi you will see from reading section 9 of the Posting Guidelines (on the left hand side of the page) that text talk is not encouraged on the forums, so hopefully you won't see many abbreviations on Dogsey.
Posting Guidelines here...

http://www.dogsey.com/posting-guidelines.htm
Mini, while I do agree about not using 'text speak' (And was very pleased that one persistant offender was banned) I would point out that at least those the OP listed are 'genuine' abbreviations.

The really unnaceptable 'text speak' is where people start 'inventing' new words which is totally stupid - the comman example is using digits in place of words. English is one of the few languages which has an abundance of words so there is no justification in abusing it.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Oh one of my pet hates, I hate text speak. My stepdaughter uses it and I usually end up translating it for her father.

The worst is when I see them in issues at work, these twits that use it don't realise that customers have the right to ask for copies of their notes, so they should be as professional as possible. Also it makes reading their notes a nightmare.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Mini, while I do agree about not using 'text speak' (And was very pleased that one persistant offender was banned) I would point out that at least those the OP listed are 'genuine' abbreviations.

The really unnaceptable 'text speak' is where people start 'inventing' new words which is totally stupid - the comman example is using digits in place of words. English is one of the few languages which has an abundance of words so there is no justification in abusing it.
I agree here, those posted by the OP are not really 'text speak' but rather genuine abbreviations, text speak I would consider things like, b4, l8r, 2nite, 2moro, where r u, e.t.c. I have never seen tbh, imo, imho, jmho, hth and certain not pts and dda in a text EVER before and I text A LOT.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >