Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mcgregorkh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2008, 06:12 AM

Up into open

I have just moved Khan up into open after his Crufts result but am in 2 minds as to whether this is the right decision, we are after his stud book number. Some say yes and some say to stay in Limit. When do you put your dogs up?

He will be 4 in August and is up to size to look the part (big solid boy)so what do you think?
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2008, 06:41 AM
It's a tricky one. If you go up to Open you're up against Champions (we don't have that problem in Ireland! ) but of course the judge doesn't know who is who (in theory ) and should award the places according to his opinion on what is in front of him. Ditto Limit, and of course you will probably win yourself out of that anyway, in time!
However, judges are human and have human failings. They are not all objective, nor do they all hold the same opinions, as you know. If a judge sees a dog moved up to Open they may assume it has won it's way out of Limit therefore be worthy of a good look, or they may take the cowardly route and put up a known Champion as they really can't go wrong as at least three judges before them have done so!
Personally, if a dog is fully mature, has beaten some of the Open dogs at some point and is doing well in a lower class I would put it up to Open, but thats just my opinion.
Best of luck!
mcgregorkh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2008, 06:49 AM
Thanks Deccy, think I will move to Ireland

I don't think he has beaten any of the dogs up in there because he wasn't in Limit for long.

I know where you are coming from with the judges too!

I don't normally chop and change classes but might just drop him back down, mmmm then again maybe not...........Ha Ha decisions, decisions. I just don''t know.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2008, 07:00 AM
Well only you can decide!
Under FCI all classes are age based apart from Champions class. However, if you make your dog up at the age of 15 months (which has been done in my breed) you can no longer stay in Junior, or Intermediate (up to 24 months) you are straight into Champion's class. However, as we are all graded and to get an "excellent" grading the dog needs to be "Champion standard" it's by no means a done deal that the champion class winner will get the ticket (he/she may not even get an "excellent") and as the challenge only consists of winners who have made that grade (or "Very Promising" for a puppy at National shows) it's more of a level playing field, IMO. In fact, my bitch puppy got her first ticket last week at the age of 8 months.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2008, 07:29 PM
I don't know what your showing history has been to suggest whether or not you should or shouldn't.
What qualifies in your breed for stud book. I thought being Band E the same as me, a first, second, or third in limit or open would give you it anyway.
Only you can decide. I can only give you my opinion on what I've had the last year. My boy was in limit last year, he did well, got placed regularly in limit. Won four limit classes and won the RCC from one of them. At one show I accidently put him in open instead of limit but took him in anyway. I was delighted that he got placed, the only dog that wasn't a champion. This made me think that he could perhaps hold his own in Open. He's been in four open classes now this year and placed at three of them so i'm happy that I made the right decision to move him up. He aleady has his stud book so qualifying isn't an issue.
It's really your decision. You say you haven't been in limit very long. If he's been doing well in limit and regularly getting the top places then I would say yes go for it. Only you can decide because once you've gone up and stayed up there for a while it doesn't look good to drop down again.