Our sister sites
Our sister sites
natalie1828
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2008, 08:27 PM

Backpacks for dogs?

Hey,
I've seen alot of dogs wearing backpacks on the tv and the web and was just wondering if anyone uses them? what are the benefits? And can all breeds use them?
Any info would be helpful thanks
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-04-2008, 10:22 PM
just started backpacking

here is the thread

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=83130
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2008, 11:02 PM
i'm a little confused to be honest.. aside from breeds that have been bred to carry items, it seems to be rather strange. i'd be reluctant to use them on ours as i have no idea of their back construction and whether they would be capable of carrying weights, and if so where the load would be placed.. i haven't read the other thread and so i'm sorry if this has been covered!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2008, 11:05 PM
I may get some for my lot,,, they can carry there own naff about that way,, and my naff,,the weight of my dog show bag is outrageous,
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2008, 11:16 PM
For anyone wanting to use one, and that includes most breeds, the only thing to make sure of, is that you first make sure they have no problems in their backs (a quick vet check will ensure everything is in place and they aren't back shy, or have a problem) then, get them very used to the backpacks alone by wearing them around the house etc. then VERY gradually build up the weight, so that their back muscles can adjust to being used differently and taking the weight being added. Once you have done this, it not only is a great form of exercise for them, but ALSO very mentally stimulating, as they concentrate on using their backs properly, walking correctly and staying balanced, it's very good for them in all respects.

Mine use them regularly, from shopping to normal casual walks, and sometimes for training, as they are more focused when they have another 'job' to do.

We use the Wenaha ones, which can be bought from the link below, but there are other types (see other links)

http://www.snowpawstore.co.uk/store/...?idCategory=64

http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/item...ackpack---dogs

http://www.ultimateanimals.co.uk/aca...ard-Hound.html

Hope that helps
natalie1828
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2008, 05:49 AM
Thanks you have all been a great help x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 09:00 AM
Now I`m also confused (it doesn`t take much) - I`ve always been told it`s best to keep the weight off my dogs as it avoids strain on joints. So what`s the difference between strain caused by a kilo of flab and a kilo of backpack?
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 10:14 AM
I have only really seen them in my dog magazine the most my dogs can carry is a bone lol
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 10:23 AM
My dog's started using them not long ago and only cary half a wee water bottle on each side to get them used to wieght carrying I'l get some picture's of them soon.xx
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Now I`m also confused (it doesn`t take much) - I`ve always been told it`s best to keep the weight off my dogs as it avoids strain on joints. So what`s the difference between strain caused by a kilo of flab and a kilo of backpack?
Because body weight puts pressure on vital organs, joints which affects fitness, whereas using a backpack is helping fitness and building up muscles to support joints etc.

However as I said earlier, they can be used by most breeds but not all, and it's always worth taking your own breeds construction into account and if you have been advised for medical reasons not to put pressure on a dog, then talk to your vet about using a backpack and ask if it would be beneficial to build up their muscle or not.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »