Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2007, 11:15 PM

Got To Give Up Agility

:smt009 I've had backache for a while and lately it's been getting worse. Me being me , just carried on as normal and took painkillers to get me by. It got to the point where I was going through a full pack of Nurofen a day AND needing to take paracetomol on top of that. I eventually got off my backside and went to see a Chiropracter on Wednesday. There's no way I can keep taking that amount of painkillers. Anyway , after an initial assessment and digital x-rays of my back , I have subluxation of my sacroiliac joint (which can be fixed ) and degeneration of some of the discs in my lower back . I've ditched the painkillers , only taking 1 paracetomol 4 times a day now , and I've been advised to use cold therapy and gentle walking as many times a day as I can manage. Missy likes the walking bit coz she gets to come with me . She knows when I get the ice pack out that she's getting another walk soon. So , unfortunately , I have to abandon our agility training for the forseeable future :smt022 :smt089 :smt088 :smt088 :smt090.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 11:19 PM
So sorry MM. I know how much you love it and I have loved reading your superb posts.

Hopefully if you do everything you are supposed to it will heal sooner rather thsan later and you can get back to your agility. maybe in the meantime you could try obedience? Less running about...

Hoping you are not in too much pain. Fudge sends a gentle nuzzle.
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks Fudgeley . I'm in a lot of pain at the moment. The ice pack works wonders though. Almost instant pain relief when I put it on. Walking is painful to begin with but eases off after a while. In fact , everything we all take for granted as part of everyday life is painful . I'm really upset about the agility. Just when Missy was doing so well in training.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2007, 01:11 AM
So sorry to hear you have been struggling so much with your back
Typical of you to think of Missy not doing her agility when you have this to get through yourself )))))hugs(((((
Is there anyone who will Handle her for you until your back is sorted ? One of my students [ and friend of course ], has back trouble and has been told she must`nt do even much walking let alone agility but another student who knows her and her dog very well will be bringing doglet to training for her so that he is still learning until his mum is allowed to do it again herself [ months away ].
I often have handlers swap dogs during sessions [ as long as handler and dog are happy to ], and it does actually help a lot, for handlers especially to try working with a different dog and it has`nt caused any dogs a problem at all, the swapped handler soon learns to work like the dogs actual handler as well as finding new ways to handle their own because all dogs are different of course
Might it be a possibility to get a willing stand-in for a while if only so you don`t fret at the thought of Missy not getting to do it at all ?

That said, even after a veeerrryyyy long break [ months or more ], dogs do usually drop straight back into it from where they left off more or less so you don`t need to worry that she will forget what to do because she wont
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2007, 07:39 AM
Aww I know how you feel. I had to use cold therapy last year and what I did was freeze damp tea towels as they were then easy to slip under your clothes and moulded to your back better. Like you say the pain relief was fantastic!
Becky
Heiki
New Member!
Female 

10-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Hi I have just joined the forum.
Like you I am very keen on agility, I compete with one Mini Schnauzer and am training our pup.
Wishing you well for the future.
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
So sorry to hear you have been struggling so much with your back
Typical of you to think of Missy not doing her agility when you have this to get through yourself )))))hugs(((((
Is there anyone who will Handle her for you until your back is sorted ? One of my students [ and friend of course ], has back trouble and has been told she must`nt do even much walking let alone agility but another student who knows her and her dog very well will be bringing doglet to training for her so that he is still learning until his mum is allowed to do it again herself [ months away ].
I often have handlers swap dogs during sessions [ as long as handler and dog are happy to ], and it does actually help a lot, for handlers especially to try working with a different dog and it has`nt caused any dogs a problem at all, the swapped handler soon learns to work like the dogs actual handler as well as finding new ways to handle their own because all dogs are different of course
Might it be a possibility to get a willing stand-in for a while if only so you don`t fret at the thought of Missy not getting to do it at all ?

That said, even after a veeerrryyyy long break [ months or more ], dogs do usually drop straight back into it from where they left off more or less so you don`t need to worry that she will forget what to do because she wont
Thanks Patch . Can I send her down to you ? But then again , I'd miss her too much. As I originally got her to help with a bad bout of depression , I need the fantastic " support" she gives me. Especially as I'm feeling a wee bit down about this at the moment. She's also great to have around right now. She picks things up for me if I drop them , fetches the post which saves me from walking down our long hallway and down a flight of stairs , and she is simply the best provider of entertainment ever. Her antics make me laugh when she plays on her own , and she encourages me to interact and join in with her comical games. She loves to play tug and lately , she's adapted it to " gentle tug coz Mummy's hurt" . She's also refusing to go for a wee in the garden today. That's her way of saying " come on Mum , you've GOT to go for a walk . I've just put my ice pack on so she'll take me out for my gentle exercise in half an hour .
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Aww I know how you feel. I had to use cold therapy last year and what I did was freeze damp tea towels as they were then easy to slip under your clothes and moulded to your back better. Like you say the pain relief was fantastic!
Becky
Yes Becky , the pain relief is amazing and it works much more quickly than taking tablets. I bought a gel pack from the chiropracter. You can either stick it in the freezer for cold therapy or in the microwave if you need heat therapy. It's not bulky at all and it only cost £6. I'm also having some very good " dog therapy" from Missy ( see my above post ).
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2007, 11:05 AM
oh, so sorry to hear this, but its so nice to hear how much Missy is cheering you up - she's a very special girl

I agree with Patch though, if there is someone at agility who could handle her just while you can't, it might do you both good. I know its not the same as doing it yourself, but at least you would get to really watch her in action (and you can take the camera/video and get some decent shots for us)
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
oh, so sorry to hear this, but its so nice to hear how much Missy is cheering you up - she's a very special girl

I agree with Patch though, if there is someone at agility who could handle her just while you can't, it might do you both good. I know its not the same as doing it yourself, but at least you would get to really watch her in action (and you can take the camera/video and get some decent shots for us)
Thanks Hali . What a great idea from both you and Patch . I'll contact my club and see what they say. And hey , YES , I would be able to take as many pics and videos as I wanted. . Between you guys and Missy , you have really cheered me up now . :smt058 Thankyou !
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >