Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 10:39 PM

Clipping a Beardie X

i think i need to get Bonnie clipped cause she's such a scruff bag and once i've groomed her( takes me 1 1/2 hrs) 5 mins later back to square one

she is quite nervous and tends to throw her head about, so because of this i'm a bit worried.

would i be able to stay with her or would it make her worse?

what sort of price,roughly, would i be looking at?

OH also agrees that she needs a makeover, desparatley
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 08:07 AM
hi hun i dont have dogs that need clipping but i would say have a look round and ask questions, get the prices from a few groomers near to you. I would say that if i had a nevous dog tell the groomer and see what they say maybe try with you outof the room and if she gets bad you are there to go back in. sorry i not much help. there are a few people on herethat do grooming so i am sure tey will be along to answer it bettr for you. good luck
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 08:42 AM
I always find nervous dogs are better without their owners, very few dogs are OK with their owners around, one reason why I don't like doing mobile grooming! I think they pick up on the owners 'fears' and play up.
I would suggest you get some recommendations from other dog people who use a groomer then go visit them and ask if you can watch and see what happens then when you are happy with a groomer booker her in and get are trimmed!
Becky
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 07:43 PM
thank you

i'll ring round and go and check them out.

this is all new to me as well and keeping her tip top is mad.

today i spent 2 1/2 hours grooming her today and i got a carrier bag full of hair, more than Hector

within 15 mins she looked no different, its quite deflating after all that work !!!

will keep you updated asap.
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2007, 08:45 PM
My mum has a Beardie and she is charged £30 for a wash, clip etc. She looks absolutely silky and gorgeous for a week, then after that she goes back to the shaggy dog look lol. I know how you feel, when I groom her for half an hour, she shakes and it looks like you haven't touched her! I did ring around different groomers for my mum and they were all quoting £30 - £35. I'm in Norfolk. I'm sure it will differ depending where you live.

Good luck

Sarah
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by sarah8 View Post
My mum has a Beardie and she is charged £30 for a wash, clip etc. She looks absolutely silky and gorgeous for a week, then after that she goes back to the shaggy dog look lol. I know how you feel, when I groom her for half an hour, she shakes and it looks like you haven't touched her! I did ring around different groomers for my mum and they were all quoting £30 - £35. I'm in Norfolk. I'm sure it will differ depending where you live.

Good luck

Sarah
Oh NO

please dont tell me that. How short does your mum have her clipped?

i'm looking at about 1 inch short all over, if you know what i mean????

hopefully that will make her look better and not pick up all the debris possible.
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Sorry, she isn't really clipped - my mistake, she is just trimmed! I should have said that - the feathering around her feet, around her face and about an inch off her coat under her belly are trimmed. I know some people clip them into a puppy cut but I don't think they look right. I do know though that Beardies are one of the most expensive dogs to have groomed.

Sarah x
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 09:44 PM
I have seen a beardie cross clipped, it was done a little like a shnauzer and looked really good. I find dogs are better without their owners present
Chunky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-11-2007, 09:41 AM
£30 is a good price. I charge £40 for a full coated Beardie, which may sound a lot, but when you break that down and take out your overheads it's actually not very much an hour. As you are aware, it's not a five minute job, and a thorough groom out, wash, complete blowdry and trim takes a lot of time My clients usually come in every 8 weeks

I don't have the owner present either, as it usually makes the dog play up
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-11-2007, 01:13 AM
Aww Pity you don't live closer to me, I'd happily clip her coat down for you and I would say about £30 - £35 is about an average for clipping I'd expect to pay alot more for a bath and trim as quite rightly said there is a lot of work in a beardie coat
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >