View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2007, 03:06 PM

Has anyone used Dr Ian Dunbar's puppy training techniques?

Hi,

I have been reading Dr Ian Dunbar's "Before and after getting your puppy". Have any of you used his techniques -such as the use of confinement to a puppy den/playroom and using only Kongs or other stuffable items as toys intially to make puppy a "chew toy holic" for example. His approach seem quite no nonsence and easy to understand. What results have people had? Do you think it makes puppy training easier?

Kate
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2007, 03:17 PM
I read this book too, and thought it was very good.
Charlie hated the crate, (he just wanted to be beside our other dog) and we had to take it away, but the settling down with a chew toy was a great help.
I ended up taking some advice from this book and the Gwen Bailey puppy training and found them both good.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Haven't read the book, but I've used both Crates and stuffed Kongs with all my dogs to good effect!

Marius adores his Kong, especially a frozen one!! I use his own kibble and just a tablespoon of peanut butter on the end to seal it and freeze. He does a dance when he sees it coming out of the freezer lol

Crate training takes time, they are great when used correctly and never as punishment. All of mine loved their crates and even have had them climb into them again as adults (when I was trying to crate train a puppy!)

Marius no longer has his crate now just sleeps in the kitchen, but we keep it in the garage for 'next time' :smt002 - and he wags his tail when he sees it lol
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Haven't read the book, but I've used both Crates and stuffed Kongs with all my dogs to good effect!

Marius adores his Kong, especially a frozen one!! I use his own kibble and just a tablespoon of peanut butter on the end to seal it and freeze. He does a dance when he sees it coming out of the freezer lol

Crate training takes time, they are great when used correctly and never as punishment. All of mine loved their crates and even have had them climb into them again as adults (when I was trying to crate train a puppy!)

Marius no longer has his crate now just sleeps in the kitchen, but we keep it in the garage for 'next time' :smt002 - and he wags his tail when he sees it lol
The same here
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Ian Dunbar was as far as I know the originator of what we now know as puppy classes

Most if not all his advice is very sound, I really like him.

I don't think you can go far wrong with his advice to be honest.

Wys
x
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Ian Dunbars book was my bible before we got Molly, it gave us a credible base for her instruction.
I picked it up and reread it before we got Nudge (at 7 wks old) and in no time she settled to her crate, Knogs and was house trained almost in days. Some of this was due to our having more experience, but a lot came from the book.
Good luck with you puppy training, I firmly believe Ian Dunbar will help you greatly.