Our sister sites
garethb83
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-09-2007, 03:17 PM

Is my beagle too skinny?

Hi guys

Just a wee heads up on what the craic is:

I have an eight month old Beagle, Maggie. She has just been spayed, and is on JWB Junior (Lamb & Rice ).

Thing is, she doesnt seem to be putting on ANY weight. She looks quite scrawny and to be honest, lanky!

I have seen some (beautiful i may add) pictures of Beagles on the forums, and am wondering whether I should be feeding her more or something different to maybe put a bit of weight on her?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Hi,
Photos may help people to give you their thoughts, however, many pups go throw growing spells where they seem to be out of proportion and lanky, so this might just be the case with Maggie.

Did the vet comment at all when you had her spayed? If not, I would doubt that you have anything to worry about.
garethb83
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-09-2007, 03:30 PM
The vet didnt say anything actually!! She said she was a super wee dog and very healthy! (Also that all the staff wanted to take her home since she was so affectionate!! haha!)

Will get photos asap!
Scooter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Hi,

I agree with Hali regarding the lanky-stage that pups go through as they grow up and they tend to go through this at adolesence. If your vet has just seen her and think that she is great then I do not think that you have anything to worry about.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by garethb83 View Post
The vet didnt say anything actually!! She said she was a super wee dog and very healthy! (Also that all the staff wanted to take her home since she was so affectionate!! haha!)

Will get photos asap!
I think you've answered your question then - I'm sure the vet would not have said that if he didn't think her healthy. It probably is just the growing stage she's at.

Would love to see some photos anway
garethb83
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks!

I think a bit of 'piece of mind' is always needed!
Lara'sYorkies
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-09-2007, 05:03 PM
As has been said it would be great to see some pics but I agree that most pups do go through this. My youngest, Malachi, who's 7 months is very lanky and skinny at the moment. After they reach full height they 'fill out' for a while longer.
Scooter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-09-2007, 09:23 AM
A good rule of thumb is if you can feel the ribs when you run your hand along their side, but can't see them then they are just right.

If you are comfortable, throw away the measuring cup for the food and feed to condition - we always have as each dog varies in it's needs.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2007, 09:58 AM
Hi there.

I agree with what has been said RE: the 'lanky' stage. they all go through it and it can be hard to keep weight on them but they do fill out eventually. As long as she is eating enough food for her age and breed then she will be fine, if a little lean.
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Hi and welcome to dogsey !

I have Beagles and as the others have said most young/adolesent dogs have a 'lanky' stage around the age Maggie is now so i wouldn't worry too much,
My Beagle Alfie was 'all legs and ears' between 7 and about 14/16 months lol ! Alfie was fed on JWB also which he did really well on and enjoyed (I found the duck & rice suited him best,he tended to itch slightly more with the chicken & rice and the lamb & rice made him a bit more hyper than usual ) but all dogs are different and one can thrive on something another doesn't do so well on,
I had the same concerns about Alfie at that age but after a while i decided to start giving him fish a couple of times a week and some 'Nature diet' in with his JWB complete (which i still do now) and i was happier with his weight.
From what your vet has said and taking into account the lanky stage they all have around this age she sounds ok,
Look forward to seeing some pictures of Maggie !
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »