Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2007, 09:59 AM

Aggression towards other dogs - help!

Argh! At training last night, Max was locking eyes and growling with a number of dogs (both male and female, big and small)

The dogs he was growling at were new dogs to the class and included a 7mth old female Mini Schnauzer and an 8mth old male Aus. Shepherd (I think).

He looked at them (when they were all sitting down) and locked eyes with the Aus Shep. and did a really low menacing growl. I planted myself inbetween him and the dog and did a "watch me" command to get his attention.

He did a very similar thing with the Mini, but they were lying down this time and he growled and I had to get his attention again.

Max is a very friendly dog and usually loves to meet other dogs. I did a quick check when we got back into the car and he isn't hurting or sore anywhere.

Could this have been because they were new dogs in the class and he was out of his comfort zone?

How can I stop this happening next week? There are lots of new dogs in the class, so I can't avoid all of them!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Not sure but like you say maybe he was just warning them they are the new gang so watch your manners.
He maybe ok next week or in the next couple of weeks when he has seen them a bit more.
Nicky1979
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-08-2007, 10:50 AM
It does sound like it might be the new members of the group throwing him abit, especially as it is both genders he's been warning.

It always throws Louie when new dogs come into class and makes him a bit (more ) loopy for the 1st couple of weeks.
xx
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Nicky1979 View Post
It does sound like it might be the new members of the group throwing him abit, especially as it is both genders he's been warning.

It always throws Louie when new dogs come into class and makes him a bit (more ) loopy for the 1st couple of weeks.
xx
Glad it's not just Max!

I've been watching his behaviour for a couple of days on walks etc, and he has been fine with other dogs (well, fine meaning absolutely mentally bouncy), so I think we'll have to wait and see what he is like at training next week!
Nicky1979
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Glad it's not just Max!

I've been watching his behaviour for a couple of days on walks etc, and he has been fine with other dogs (well, fine meaning absolutely mentally bouncy), so I think we'll have to wait and see what he is like at training next week!
Oh no it's not just Max my problems are compounded by the fact that 3 of the other dogs are ones he plays with in the park when walking .
This week we finally managed a bit of heel work off lead before Louie decided to launch himself across the room to play with one of them

Give it a week or so & he should calm down -
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Nicky1979 View Post
This week we finally managed a bit of heel work off lead before Louie decided to launch himself across the room to play with one of them
Max spent most of our heelwork session trying to "catch" the fluffy tail of the GSD in front of us
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Whats he like with other dogs when he's not at the class?
Nicky1979
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Max spent most of our heelwork session trying to "catch" the fluffy tail of the GSD in front of us
Spooky the one Louie wanted to play with was a huge fluffy GSD!!!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Whats he like with other dogs when he's not at the class?
Hi BorderDawn

He is totally fine with them, even the "new ones", once we are outside the hall we train in.

He is also fine with dogs we meet on our walks and who live nearby. I've always thought of him as a very friendly dog. He generally wants to be friends with every dog he meets, male or female, large or small.

That's why I'm worried about the sudden agression. I'm hoping that he's just not at ease with new dogs in the class and will settle down after another week or so.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Could it be the fact that he is inside for the class? Perhaps that makes him slightly more nervous about being close to other, strange dogs?????
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >