Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 05:27 PM

Excessive Barking

Just after a little advice please,

We seem to have developed a problem with Tyler and Meg barking excessively,we have a problem dog about 10 doors away,over the back,not sure which house,which barks and barks,which in turn triggers our's off.

It usually starts one of our's off and the other joins in,we give them the command quiet reward with a treat,praise etc...only for them to start again 10-15 mins later,as you can imagine it is getting quiet annoying,not only for us but for other neighbours although no one has complained yet.

Tyler has also started barking in the early hours,which again starts Meg off,Hubby has been coming downstairs from 3am onwards to tell them to quiet,and within 10 mins of returning to bed he starts again.He usually checks that there is nothing about and it is always quiet.

So how do we solve this problem,I was thinking of buying an anti bark device,not collar,but a wall mounted device that emits ultrasonic sounds that only the dogs can hear.
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Sorry, no good advice, just a bump.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Barking dogs drives me crazy so I sympahise with you. Dogs eh who'd have 'em.

There is a dog by me which barks at anything and everything drivesme crazy and yet the owners seem to take no notice - sometimes that dog sets my two girls off well Tess actually and Sal joins in but they are quiet within minutes. And its not regular but irritating. No idea how to stop them other than aversion like shaking a can when they start barking. Best of luck,

The barking at night could well be people out and about its the summer evenings, honestly people are out and about more than you realise and he could just be reacting, to the noise. But his barking could have become a habit it does not take long to get a dog into a routine.
But if its the same time of night, it could be someone coming home/going out your hubby cannot/does not see;

For example;
Man/woman comes homes in early hours shuts car door makes noise entering their house; Tyler hears him its quiet he barks, your hubby wakes goes downstairs (timescale 5 minutes) man is in his house by now. Meg joins in "telling all insundry" THIS IS OUR HOUSE WE LIVE HERE KEEP AWAY your hubby is now downstairs to tell them to be quiet.

How about leaving a radio on downstairs on low so there is a background noise in the house for him and the "outside" noises don't bother him as much.

Karen
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 07:43 PM
hello
we went through somethink like this ,with a rescue girl we got last year ,never had a barker befor ,we solved the problem in the garden by soon as they bark ,we fetch them in straight away ,so they soon get the message , when they calm down let them out again ,they bark back in again .
till it stops . the one in the morning is difficult ,as ours sleep up stairs ,she did bark when she woke for food as we feed them then ,so we found that if OH got up with them she was quiter ,but he and i would shshshs with hand command to the mouth ,she dosnt do this either now , DONT bother with the nati bark device ,we tried them all they are in are case were useless ,very expensive ,i took it back got money back ,it never touched the sides with our willow lol good luck ,you will get there in the end
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2007, 08:39 AM
I have recently posted a similar thread myself, after a neighbour asked what was the matter with my dogs when they were in the garden playing & barking! It really upset me so I sympathise.... I have spent time this week with mainly Archie who has a tendency to bark, and every time he starts I give the command shhhh, and remove him from the situation.
The postie is a great one, he always runs to the door barking, so now I hear her coming and I am at the ready!! This morning was a real result and hopefully it will continue this way. I shhh'd him before the door went and followed him to the door and said "No" and hip hip hooray "quiet"
Good Luck x
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Well done Trixybird. Can you now come and stop mine?
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2007, 11:34 AM
I use the hosepipe (not in the house of course) I only have to look at the hosepipe and they shut up.