Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2007, 03:44 PM

training classes

I've just spent ages trying to find a puppy training class for Charlie.
I've got his name down for one that sounds ideal but unfortunately doesn't have a place until September. The only thing I can hope for is a cancellation, I'll know next week.
I'm training him to walk on the left (using a clicker) as I know most trainers teach this side, to be honest I don't really care what side he walks as long as he is at my side!I'd like to progress to hand signals but not sure how to go about this, are there standard hand signals that classes teach, I've got visions of me turning up to class and using all the wrong signals and phrases
Charlie is 13wks, clever and greedy.
x_rose_x
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Hi Pam

I just use the hand signal I want whilst teaching the thing and just keep using it whilst giving the voice command, for instance Kodi's hand signal for sit is a fist(so it is easy for my little cousin to do, as he is disabled), once I had decided thats what I wanted to use I just kept using it at the same time as saying sit and now Kodi will sit with just the hand signal, I did the same with Rose although it was after she knew sit/down/stay etc. and just added the signal in by using it at the same time as saying it.
Also just use whatever signals/phrases you want, you could even use the french(or whatever language) for sit etc. it's really up to you, and the trainer should be fine with it.

Where in Scotland are you located?(can pm me if you prefer), if its near where I am I know of a puppy class that is just for puppies, I believe they still had spaces starting very soon.

Megan
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2007, 04:17 PM
It is hard to find a good training place but they are usually worth waiting for and you can do a lot before hand.

Pam if you want Charlie to walk both sides - then teach him both sides - if you aren't going to do competitive obedience it really is up to you what commands and signals you use to be honest as long as they are consistent.

Use short simple commands - for him to lie down - use one word that will not be used down or lie - if you use down to get him off furniture then don't use that.

Always be consistent is the key. And make it fun for you and Charlie.

Good luck I'm sure you are doing everything just fine!
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Thanks Rachel,
I am walking Charlie on the left mainly because Ben likes to walk on the right, or out in front if he can get away with it!
I am mostly training Charlie on his own, but sometimes Ben joins in, except the down, he hates that
I use my index finger for sit, palm up facing dog for stay and hand straight up for coming back, Ben knows these so I figured if Charlie didn't listen to me, he would follow Ben
I took them both out to the field today, let Charlie off lead with Ben (first time) but he stayed quite close and came back first time, I was chuffed to bits. It was lovely to see them both running around together, I am really enjoying having a pup again and Ben has taken a new lease a life
The puppy class I enrolled in has a good name and they cover clicker training which for greedy wee Charlie is ideal!