Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

28-07-2007, 11:46 AM

The death of Gelert

I was telling my daughter this story the other day and thought (in case there's anybody that doesn't know it) I'd pop it on here.

In the Glaslyn Valley high in the mountains of Snowdonia in north Wales is the little picturesque village of Beddgelert. Among its attractions today, on the outskirts of the village, is the grave of possibly this country's most famous dog; Gelert. Thus was how the village begot its name:- Beddgelert - Grave of Gelert.

The great bounding wolfhound was a favourite of all that came across him. He was as gentle as a lamb to all those that showed kindness to his master and his family. Woe betide anyone however, that the dog thought should show more respect. Then he would sit right in front of the visitor, bare his teeth and emit a deep warning growl.

At meal times Gelert would sit at his master's side, the only one of the pack allowed to do so. His head would loll to one side and his tongue would hang out, while one ear would be cocked for the sound of the slightest movement of a tasty tit bit from the table; which he more than often got.

When Gruffudd Llywelyn's oldest son, for there was Dafydd as well, was old enough to crawl the youngster was as rough as he could be with him, in fact many times the great dog could be seen walking around the lodge with young Gruffudd hanging on to his tail. When the time came for the young prince to be put to bed Gelert, as often as not, lay alongside his cot to protect his young charge. Llywelyn desperately wanting his pack leader on a hunt would shout at him and try and cajole him in an attempt to get Gelert to accompany him. Gelert however, would have none of it, then he would bare his teeth and growl at Llywelyn too. Soon the pack had a new leader and the giant hound stayed in the lodge protecting his charge. When Gruffudd got to the toddling stage Gelert and him were inseparable, they would play and roll around together inside and outside the lodge whenever the hunting party met there.

It was such a day late one Autumn when Llywelyn, Joan and the family were at Beddgelert, that the death of the great dog occurred. Young Gruffudd had been put to bed and the family were away up the valley where the hounds had trapped two great stags. On returning to the lodge after the successful hunt Llywelyn eager to see his son burst in through the door, there to met with a devastating sight. The cot was overturned, there was blood everywhere, and worst of all the great wolfhound's jaws where dripping with blood. Thinking that Gelert had turned upon Gruffudd and savaged him to death, Llywelyn withdrew his sword and plunged it deep into Gelert's side. The howl of the great dog, as it sunk to the the floor in its dying throes, reverberated around the mountains.

Beside himself with rage Llywelyn almost missed the little snuffling noise which emitted from the corner of the room, when he did so he rushed forward and threw aside the empty cot, below it it still alive was Gruffudd; but more surprising was that below him was the body of the biggest wolf Llywelyn had ever seen. Full of remorse with his child in his arms he rushed back to the great wolfhound's side. Cradling the dog's head in his other arm in an attempt to ease the pain of his suffering companion Llywelyn received one last lick from the great dog, as though in forgiveness, before he died.

The great wolf, intent on devouring something, had entered the lodge. Gelert suspecting that it would attack his young charge had met it head on in a battle to the death. When Llywelyn returned after the hunt Gelert had met his master with a great sense of achievement and pride, but his reward was to feel the sharp thrust of steel into his side for something he could not understand what he had done.

Months after the death of the great hound Llywelyn, still beside himself with grief, erected a memorial stone south of the village near the Glaslyn river, where he had laid the great dog to rest. The stone is still there today many hundreds of years later, cared for with love by the residents of Beddgelert.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
john100
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-07-2007, 11:55 AM
What a fantastic story. Ive been there as well but never seen the memorial, I throughly enjoyed your post
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2007, 11:58 AM
WE have visited Bddgelert, its a beautiful place.My oh's last BC was called Gelert.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2007, 12:03 PM
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2007, 12:06 PM
My parents took me to Beddgelert as a child, when we stayed in Snowdonia on holiday. It was a tale that always haunted me as a child, and one I have never forgotten.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Well as I didn't fancy crying at the moment I wizzed past the tale & only read the replies, from a tiny child to an OAP that story has always had the power to make me cry.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2007, 02:52 PM
fantastic post phil , i enjoyed reading it xxdk
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2007, 03:11 PM
OMG am in tears reading that!!!! never knew why it was called beddegelert..

Alex
xx
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Been to the grave many times Phil, lovely walk along the river, through the fields to it, nice to hear it again.
dawn.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2007, 04:28 PM
oh my goodness...

I wish someone had warned me

Edit: I know the title says 'the death of Gelert' but I still wasn't prepared
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >