Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rottlover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2007, 04:43 PM

help with a aggressive dog

ok need help really bad. sassy has gotten worse about her grumpyness around other dogs when on the leash. to nite took all the dogs for a walk. had 5 in total, sassy, quincy, china n cleo and kieva. well i had sassy n kieva. well walking them she was great.. no problems no jumping out at cars. but while walking we walked by a lady that didnt have her dog leashed and well the dog started moving closer to us and well sassy jumped out at the dog.. lady not really trying to keep the dog to her side.. well i had to set between sassy and teh dog and she ended up nipping me. is there anything that i can do to stop out of her being grumpy. she is getting a halte tommorrow. but im worried that next time she wont stop. i had to smack her hated to do it but other wise she wouldnt have stop trying to attack the dog.. it pissed me off more that the lady didnt keep walking or walk faster seeing that her dog was upsetting mine. its bad since i had to keep an eye on the other 4 to make sure they didnt get pissy cuase they only really listen to me..
so anyone how to deal with sassy aggressation i hate to have to muzzle her for this since its hot out and theres not really go muzzles that will deal with this.. even the prong collar doesnt seem to help. any help would be great.. i dont want to end up getting bite when i step between her and another dog. but i know if i didnt all the dogs would have attacked with sassy.
she also acts like this when she is alone and it only the dogs that come to close to her n it not that often
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Hi there

As you are in Canada, I'd suggest getting a copy of this book here:

http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DTB766

as it's pretty much exactly what you are asking for help about, and won't be expensive either

Advising about any kind of aggression isn't too good over the internet, but general advice I'd give is to have a vet check (as some aggressive problems can be caused by pain, medical problems, etc) and also it may be useful to take a dog out by themselves rather than with others as that way you can concentrate more on the individual :smt001

Also, keep in mind that dogs just coming up to yours whilst yours are on leash are not under control really by their owners. If they keep coming and are pushy and insistent, your dog has every right to "tell them off" although hopefully in a noisy way, not actually hurting the other dog.

I hope the book will start you off

Wys
x
rottlover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-07-2007, 01:10 PM
ya its mostly the dogs that arent on a leash and that move closer to us. i never thought it could be becuase of that she was hurt. sassy ended up getting hit last week...she fine only got soft tissue damage. car ended up getting a big dent in it...going to start walking on her own. for most of the walks she gets
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2007, 01:51 PM
I would also suggest in the future, that when off leash dogs approach, you ask the owner to please call the dog away, as your dog is fearful of other dogs. Some dogs need more personal space then others to feel comfortable.