View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-06-2007, 12:29 AM

Do you check your dogs vomit (yucky image - but serious question)

Whenever my dogs (or cats) are sick, I always have a quick look (being responsible and all that) to check what's brought it on (or up as the case may be) in case of a problem.

Joking aside (yes there's a serious question)..................

My cat's will leave a kill on the patio every morning. The dogs run out when I open the back door first thing in the morning and Fingal gobbles up (his prize) like it's his duty.

Gross (some of you will think) but we're talking about a very fresh 'tiny morsal' (mouse, vole etc) every morning and he's never so much as burped.

Should Skye be first he just pauses, sniffs and walks by 'cat kills' but (as I said) I'm used to Fingal nicking it for breakfast without ever having a reaction.

Recently Breagh has started grabbing the 'prize' ahead of Fingal but a few hours later she 'throws it up'.

I've included the picture just to show how little the 'meal' is/was.

This is typical. Again - sorry for including the pic but I think it's important to the thread because as you can see we're not talking 'over eating' here - A bit of dog food (pre beakfast) so what she ate yesterday) , a couple of un-chewed chips (being a lab) and the wee mouse intact.

Any ideas why she brings it back?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2007, 06:54 AM
No real idea. What does surprise me, is that if the photo shows stuff she ate a few hours previously, she doesn't seem to have started to digest it at all.

When she throws it up does she try and eat it again?

Since I've had two dogs I've noticed that both mine ocassionally wolf something down (to get it before the other one), then they go away, regurgitate it and then eat it properly. However, if she is doing this, I wouldn't have expected it to take so long - i.e. a few hours before she does this.

I think, particularly bearing in mind the bloat, I would have a word with your vet. If mine threw up a few hours after a meal, I'm fairly sure it wouldn't be as regonisable as the bits in the photo. Perhaps different dogs digest at different speeds, but the photo makes me wonder whether she is digesting her food properly & perhaps the extra effort of digesting a whole mouse is a bit too much for her system?
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2007, 07:05 AM
Yummy, just I needed having just swallowed my brekkie if I throw it back up I'll take a pic for you to examine:smt081 :smt081 seriously thought I've no idea why she throws it up again, but am suprised that the chips are still intact, my old boy (BC) used to be sick and eat it up again, no matter what it was, but Jack (BC)just goes and eat a bit of grass and shortly after throws up and looks at it in disgust, maybe it's just dogs being different.

eidt to add, and yes I do check his vomit
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2007, 07:13 AM
My dachshund will eat sausages whole then move away and regurgitate them for eating properly so it could be that's what she is doing.
And yes, in answer to your question I do examine their vomit!
Becky
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2007, 07:51 AM
Yes phil i do as boxer will eat anything my three usually bring me there litttle finds in though instead of eating them . xxdk
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2007, 08:11 AM
I will check whatever comes out of my dogs EITHER END
If your dog is doing this on a regular basis I would get it checked at the vets. My dog will be sick then eat it up again on a few occasions. However all dogs are different. Is your dog only being sick when it eats the cat kill or in general?
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
I will check whatever comes out of my dogs EITHER END
If your dog is doing this on a regular basis I would get it checked at the vets. My dog will be sick then eat it up again on a few occasions. However all dogs are different. Is your dog only being sick when it eats the cat kill or in general?
She's not normally sick so I'm not saying she's got a vomitting problem - it's just that on the few occasions she has been sick it has a cat 'gift' in it.

I just couldn't see any reason why a little mouse would make her sick.

I've been thinking about it and I suspect she's bolting it down as quick as she can before Fingal (who usualy gets them) can get it then bringing it back up when she's on her own so she can 'enjoy' it.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2007, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
She's not normally sick so I'm not saying she's got a vomitting problem - it's just that on the few occasions she has been sick it has a cat 'gift' in it.

I just couldn't see any reason why a little mouse would make her sick.

I've been thinking about it and I suspect she's bolting it down as quick as she can before Fingal (who usualy gets them) can get it then bringing it back up when she's on her own so she can 'enjoy' it.
What does she do after she's thrown it up. Does she then try to eat it. Or does she run away so to speak?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2007, 09:21 AM
I always check vomit ... although not a pleasant job!

Perhaps her body is used to her food normally being more "chewed up" and prepared for the stomach by the mouth, saliva etc so chucks the mouse back up because of that.

On a more serious note, would it be prudent to stop her doing this? I wonder if there may be a possibility that some of the rodents might be poisoned, it's something I'd always be worried about ...

Wys
x
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2007, 09:23 AM
I always check Max's vomit - as he's known for eating non-edible items. He also vomits when he's gulped something down, he does it in the garden and then eats it again - yuk!!

Maybe the whole mouse/cat-kill is giving her problems in her tummy?

I'd ask the vet, just in case, especially since the bloat episode
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >