Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2007, 01:31 PM

Birthday Cake ideas

Have been asked to make a Birthday Cake for my Grandson's 2nd Birthday - HHmmm! has to be a Sponge Cake, not made one for years(& that wasn't good!) any tried & tested recipes & help greatly appreciated.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2007, 01:44 PM
I once made a hedgehog cake, very simple to do, make a sponge like you would for victoria sandwich, then with just one bit, cut in half so you have 2 half circles, make some chocolate buttercream, sandwich together and stand up so you have the curved bit at the top, shape one end so it looks a bit like a nose, then cover in more choc buttercream, rough it up with a fork then get some chocolate buttons, cut them in half and stick them in the buttercream to make the spines and a couple of smarties for the eyes and one for the nose, my son loved this, as it was all gooey and messy, he ate all the buttercream and choc buttons and left the sponge don't know if this helps, hopefully you'll get plenty of other ideas or you could hire a shapped cake tin from somewhere in the shape of a number 2
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Try www.deliaonline.com - her cake recipes have been great when I've tried them. I think the important thing is to know your oven, and then don't be tempted to open it for a wee look half-way through
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Thanks - Will let you know how things go...eekkk!!