Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 08:50 PM

Organic chickens, or are they???

Anyone see the programme on tv tonight where they studied organic supermarket chickens against true farm ones, scary very swcary, the amount of fat in the supermarket ones disgraceful and a real con, also harmful bugs found so good cooking essential.

Am fed up with being conned over meat, a well known and very popular butchers firm who supply umpteen folk and hotels and so on here in Carlisle sell steak mince, yet its imported frozen meat from Bolivia defrosted then a tiny piece of real steak added for colour and any other meats left over eg lamb, how do they get away with it and surely its dangerous, what if the person does not want to eat lamb or is allergic to it, or against their religion and so on, scary thoughts too as i feed or did till i found out, fed it to my little Grandchildren thinking they were getting the best, they even tell you its safe to refreeze, never tell you where it comes from as the tiny bit of true steak added allows them to call it steak mince grrrr. your comments please
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Yes I saw it and was outraged! It was shocking to see the so-called supermarket 'organic' poultry isn't what we expect. How are we supposed to know what is of a decent quality? I eat chicken thinking, as mentioned on the programme, that I am eating mainly lean protein not a pile of fat and antibiotics. I might as well just eat a chunk of full-fat cheese on toast.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 09:11 PM
didnt see it... i buy organic chicken every now and then froms sainburys and must say it does taste better and isnt as fatty as normal and i like to think i am helping against battery farming....

what did the programme say....

I really wanted to watch it!

Alex
xx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Essentially that the stuff sold as organic in supermarkets isn't what we have been lead to believe - the birds are kept in horrible conditions etc.:

http://www.itv.com/news/britain_aab9...c6bbc8a9c.html
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 09:33 PM
OMG is there anywhere you can buy proper free range organic meata from nowadays?

Alex
xx
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 09:35 PM
I think the only way you can guarantee organic food is to rear or grow it yourself.

I personally think that the word 'organic' is a con. Not only is it more expensive, but it's not all that is seems unfortunatly.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 09:41 PM
i dont really care for terms, i just wanna buy meat that has come from animal that have been able to roam freely withou living in cramped conditions and have been fed PROPER food not pellety cr*p!

I couldnt kill my own though!

Alex
xx
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Me neither Alex, but I'm lucky to have a farm not far from me that rears and slaughters thier own stock. I pay slightly more, but I know it's reared well.

If I were to have livestock, I'd be over-run by them I wouldn't have the heart to kill any of them
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Me neither Alex, but I'm lucky to have a farm not far from me that rears and slaughters thier own stock. I pay slightly more, but I know it's reared well.

If I were to have livestock, I'd be over-run by them I wouldn't have the heart to kill any of them
me too!!! and they woudl all have names!!!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
me too!!! and they woudl all have names!!!
They'd have names, whether I'd remember all of them would be another matter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >