Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DrIvEn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-06-2007, 08:59 PM

The GSD VS the Lab or Golden Retriever

I have posted this thread in the "pastoral dog" section also but have only gotten one reply so I thought I would try it here too. Any input is highly appreciated. Thanks!

I am interested in owning a GSD. I have some questions about them though. I've been doing as much research as I can on them.

Is it true that GSDs are more of the independent type that's not like labs or goldens who seem to say "hey! you're home! I've missed you so much! I just want to be near you and love you". I heard that GSDs aren't like that as much in the way they give their affection and love. Is this true?

Also, one thing that I've always loved about the dogs that I've owned is that they are very fun and silly. I heard that GSDs are more of the serious type who don't like to be silly nutcases as much. Haha I just like silly dogs. It makes them fun.

Anyways, these have been the questions I have been wondering about. How does a GSD compare to a lab or a golden? I'm also thinking about possibly getting a lab or a golden retriever. I know I will at some point but the question is which one I will be getting first. A GSD or a lab or golden. How different are they and what are their main differences?

Also, is it true that GSDs need ALOT more exercise then a lab or a golden retriever would? Will they get destructive without enough exercise?

In comparison to labs and golden retrievers how well do GSDs do if left alone for up to 5 hours or so during the day if me and my husband (not yet but soon) are both at work?

Thanks everyone for any information you can offer! I've been debating on which one to get for quite awhile now. The kind of dog I am looking for is one who is fun and silly, loyal and affectionate, inteligent and eager to please who will be ok left alone at home for awhile during the day while I'm at work and won't get destructive out of lack of exercise if he has to get by some days with just a few walks and a big yard to play and run around in.

So... a GSD or... a lab or golden?
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2007, 09:09 PM
I own 2 GSDs and they are both very different from each other.

Yes, they do need a fair amount of exercise, but it's more to do with the quality of exercise they're getting. I've found in the past that GSDs need stimulation and lots of games help in that quarter. Yes, they can be destructive, but no more than any other breed. They do tend to be a 'one person dog' but they love my OH and kids to bits.

My GSD male is quite a serious chap, but he's 7 now so would prefer the more sedate life. He does like to play though, but not for as long as he used to My bitch on the other hand, is as daft as a brush, and loves to play an for as long as physically possible.

As for affection, both my GSD's love thier cuddles and affection Storm (female) will come over, body practically bending in two, tail thrashing everything in sight, just to get a stroke first

Yes, they can be left on thier own, but as with all puppies and young dogs, I wouldn't advise leaving them for any great length of time.

Hopw that helps
marieswolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-06-2007, 03:34 PM
gsd every time. they are loving and very loyal. a dog u can depend on
marie
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-06-2007, 03:44 PM
I can only comment on labs, they are a fun loving dog but can be quite serious. They will always greet you when you return home and more often than not holding something, at times something they're not allowed.
The can be independent and like to explore when out.

They can be very, very distuctive if not taught right from worng and not mentally stimulated. They do love hugs and like nothing better than cuddling up next to you.
They do need a fair bit of exercise, I think they can cope with as much as you can give but if there is a day where they only get a short walk or none at all they are unlikely to destroy the house.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Hi
I can answer some of your questions as we have a GSD and a Golden.

Well Katie our GSD is very loving and is more so to my hubby, she does give me cuddles but she love my hubby more, he says they are a breed that seem to stick to one person but she is a cute when she wants a cuddle, she snuggles us on the bed more than the Goldie.

She can be silly not as silly as Dori (goldie) they have different silly ways which is nice they are not the same.

Katie doesn't stop unless we both sit down she wont and still then sometimes she still wants you to throw a ball or something.
She misses us a lot when we go out, she goes mad when we walk in but We are lucky we have both sets of parents who come around if we have to be out more than 3 hours.

well that is our mad pair
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Can only reallycomment on GSDs as I've had them all my life. They are very loyal & often one person dogs, have only ever had one who didn't like cuddles & fuss except on her terms,the others have loved fuss & are great comforters if you're upset. When young they have all been playful & loved life, Think Mum may have prefered them a little less playful at times like when they bit all the heads off the daffodils because they ewere waving in the wind. They do need a lot of exercise when they are adults but they need more mental than physical stimulation, a ten momute work out is more beneficial than a half hour walk on the lead with no mental stimulation.
All dogs are different, though breed characteristics often show up, had a friend whose lab never showed affection or acknowledged when they came home but the previous two had been really exited. Good luck whatever you decide to own.
RinTinTin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Here in the UK there has been massive over-breeding of GSDs, much of it not to the breed's advantage. I hope it is different in the States.

A good GSD is the Dog of Dogs IMHO; loyal, confident, alert, responsive and affectionate. A bad one - anxious, lacking in confidence, over-protective, neurotic - can be a nightmare.

If you decide on a GSD do your research and buy from a reputable breed - the Net is excellent for this kind of information. Or go to a pound. We've had many wonderful young adults through our local rescue; nothing wrong with their temperament or health - they were just too much dog for the owner once they grew out of puppyhood.

Just don't do what I did and fall for a pretty face - that's how I ended up with a dog I can't walk near traffic without a head collar and a harness.

Good luck.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-06-2007, 03:37 PM
I think RinTinTin hits a crucial point. As a result of a lot of bad breeding, some, actually many, GSDs have lost many of the good traits that have made them a firm favourite for many years.

In particular, there seems to be many overly nervous GSDs around now. Finding a reputable breeder may not completely eliminate the chances of you ending up with a less than perfect example of a GSD, but it will almost certainly help you to get one with a solid temperament.

As for temperament: It's my experience that a well-trained and well exercised GSD is not as much of a love-pup as many other breeds. Though that's relative to expectations. When I walk in, my dog walks up to me, almost as though to just make sure it's me, or to see what I've brought home, and then she'll respect my space until I call her to me for a love-in. Bear in mind though that I have trained her to do that, as I don't care for being jumped up at, or tripped over as soon as I get in the door. (My partner, who doesn't mind, gets the full-on love-in effect.)

With regards to playfulness, I would say that on the whole they are quite serious dogs, but don't be fooled for a moment. If you wave a rag in front of its nose and call in a high-pitch tone, it'll play until you fall to the floor exhausted.

With regards to being left alone, my previous GSDs have never had any issues with that, and that was for eight hours a day while I went out to work.

As for exercise, I can't speak for others but my 30 month old bitch currently walks for about 90 minutes at 12:00 and then for 120 minutes at 20:00 each day, with a 15 minute formal training session included within each period.

That's not to say all GSDs need that much, and in fact, I would wager they don't, but it does give you an idea of their energy levels. She would exercise much more if I took her.

Go on, get a GSD. You know you want to...